Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small Retaining Wall

Re: Small Retaining Wall

I finished the retaining wall last week, using the interlocking blocks. They are more expensive than wood, but I know they will last.

The trick with these blocks is to install them precisely level on the first row. If the 1st row is out of alignment, the imperfection will 'telegraph' up through the rest of the rows and be quite visible as you move upwards.

I installed the blocks, plus a french drain behind the blocks, and another french drain along that walkway between the house and the wall. The french drain pipes were wrapped in landscape fabric and surrounded by gravel, at a 2 percent slope.

Here is a picture with the wall finished.

Looks nice. I guess you might be planning some nice plantings for the top.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Nice looking wall! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Lots of work in that one.

Steve

I was reading this late, cause as I scrolled through, I was going to recomend exactly what you did. I've done a bit of that. Used different styles of blocks.

That first course, with the leveling base below it is definitely the key.

There's lots of block out there, and the price varies greatly. Looks like you used Keystone or Pavestone "Legacy" or "Garden wall".

Your wall turned out really nicely. After seeing that I know that the right thing for my next wall is interlocking block. Sounds and looks like you did everything right - so when do you want to come put one in for me [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]?