Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traveling Companion

Traveling Companion

Since the completion of my new home and the purchase of a larger truck (Trucker here).... I am in the process of seeking a traveling companion. Something that doesn't shed too much, short haired and is fairly easy to keep clean.
    The dogs I have concidered and comments about them are as follows...

Min Pin = Very hyper, dominant, will take off if they get loose

Jack Russel = Nice dog but as most hunting dogs, will roam, dig and can be a handfull...

French Bulldog = Too expensive, too many health problems

I thoroughly dislike poodles, chiwows (sp? I know), any yappy type dogs that pee on themselves when you look at them wrong.

I like Spitz type dogs, looked at several of the different breeds but they are too hairy and in the confinment of my truck would be disasterous...

I have thought about Boston Terriers or a daschuond (sp?)

Also I have researched Shar pe', this one seems to have the best personality as a guard dog, quite temperment, not a roamer and a natural distrust for strangers. Another words someone wouldn't be able to just walk up and steal them without losing a body part. Being the truck is a clean climate control inviroment I would think that they would have any skin problems, especially if I go with a female that isn't too wrinkled. Also, I heard there is a soft hair breed as well as the bristle haired breed.

Any comments, suggestion to other breeds would be appriciated.

BTW, I have experience with larger dogs, Rotties/bullmastiffs, I just think its inhumane to keep such a large dog in the confines of a truck where as a smaller dog could move around with comfort besides the routine nature walks [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Re: Traveling Companion

go to http://www.puppyfind.com/ they have great info. about breeds and dogs for sale

The only choice is a Black Lab...they love to ride and are eager to sit and relax are usally calm or easely trained. Great around people and can be a good watch dog that listens to its owner.....with all that said, we have a yippin,hyper,Dominant,jumpy and timid MinPin [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] But shes a good pup [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] She couldnt hurt a flea toughest watch dog you ever did see [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Oh and Loves to hunt mice. Or any other thing that moves [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

Handyman -- It's a pleasure finding someone who actually thinks of the dog's welfare before making the plunge! You're right about larger dogs and their need for space. My five goldens love to ride, to a point!

Saying a Jack Russell can be a handful is like saying the Pope has Catholic tendencies. My gawd, what a hyper dog! At first I was going to recommend something like a pug, but those pushed-in face breeds sometimes have trouble with respiratory ailments when moved from one climate to another too much. Boston Terrier would be a great fit, judging from the number of them I see living in motorhomes. I personally am a large dog fan, but BTs are low maintenance, very adaptable, and easily trained.

Good luck on your decision!

Pete
    Ragtag Golden Retriever Rescue
    and Molson, Harley, Tetley, Fiddy and Tuppence (dogs)
    Nasdaq, Cisco and Mouse (cats)
    Charlie, Fudge Baa and Bunni (Icelandic sheep)
    plus 40+ assorted chickens

Darn it, Handyman, it's been almost a year now since I gave Buster to a trucker and I still get choked up. We had to move back to town to an apartment for several months and Buster's a Rat Terrier that was accustomed to going in and out of the house anytime he wanted to, being able to run free on our 10 acres, but also literally loved to travel and ride; couldn't open a car or truck door without him trying to beat me through it. I just hope he's happier with that trucker than he would have been only getting out on a leash and being left alone a lot in an apartment.

We ran an ad looking for a good home for him and when that young trucker showed up, he and Buster just seemed to take to each other immediately.

I won't go into details because I'm getting all teary eyed again, but if other Rat Terriers are anything like Buster, you couldn't do better.

Hi Bird,

Sorry to hear you're missing Buster so much. I tried to find some info on Rat Terriers on AKC but I couldn't find any. I thought I met one once. Are they like Jack Russels but a bit bigger and longer in the leg than a Jack? I like Jack's but I'm concerned that they are just a little too outgoing for our lifestyle. Are the Rat terriers calmer in temperment?

-Steve

Steve,
    Do a google search on Rat Terrier, lots of sites come up.
    Here is a pic from www.rat-terrier.com

handyman

you might want to look into the shiba-inu. it is a japanese spitz of a small nature. they are only about 14lbs and are very clean. they dont shed much, and act very much like a cat. they like to know where you are, but dont need you around when you are there. they love to ride in cars and would most likely end up on the dash just watching the country go by!

Thank You Bird...

I know how you feel, really I do. I had to give up my Rottie/Bullmastiff mix 10 yrs ago in order to get my life on the right path which resulted in trucking. Bear was a 125-140 lbs of big ole charming ham that pretty much trained himself. He was so well mannered, loved kids and loyal... To this day I morn his lost, my lost.

I would love nothing better than to acquire another large dog but I just can't so I'm trying to decide on a breed that is spunky when its time to have fun, laid back and calm when its resting time in front of the TV or traveling down the road since that will be his life on the most part.

Would a Rat Terrier be a little more docile/ calmer than lets say a Min Pin or a Jack Russel ?

I'm also having to consider ease of house breaking (intelligence) and easy cleaning as well as sheding. I want to be able to give the dog a quick bath on my stepdeck (type of flatbed trailer) towel dry him quickly and put him in the truck. Where as with something like a shiba-inu, as cute as they are, would be hard to take care of while on the road.
    A Boston terrier sound like a good possibility with their size, hair length and lets face it... How can anyone NOT love that face... LOL

Granted the dog will be with me 2-3 weeks on the road, I have a large 3 bedroom house and 5 acres with acreage surrounding me so I don't want a dog that I have to chain or tie up because its in their nature to wonder off and never come back. Trust me when I say that there is plenty to keep it occupied where I live... LOL Maybe I could teach it to ride the hood of my tractor while I'm bushhogging the field (it can chase field rats)..lol [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I suppose what I'm saying is that the animal will have to be able to adapt to climates as well as life styles (the road & then Home) I don't care for stupid yippie yappies that are afraid of their own shadow. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

For many reasons I'm considering a Shar pe, Boston, maybe a rat terrier ??? or a wennie dog

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Would a Rat Terrier be a little more docile/ calmer than lets say a Min Pin or a Jack Russel ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, Buster loved to run and play; would chase squirrels and rabbits, but wouldn't hurt one if he caught it. I think he just plain liked everyone and everything. Not a "watch" dog in that he would not have attacked an intruder, but barked anytime anyone came around the house, or that he saw another animal in the yard.

The only other time he barked was when we passed by another animal (dog, cow, horse, etc.) in the car or truck. He had one very different trait that I warned that trucker about before he took him, and that was an ability to sound like a laughing hyena. Anytime we took him in the car or truck, he would be so excited and trying to see out all 4 sides at once that his panting/whining sounded like a hyena. The first time that weird sound made me wonder if it was because he didn't like to ride and might get sick, but I soon learned it was just because he liked it so much and was so excited. We had to go about 10 miles every time before he'd settle down and get quiet; just looking out the window. Then he'd be OK the rest of the day. I've never heard another dog sound anything like that.

We got him from the city animal shelter. He was believed to be just about a year old, picked up as a stray, but wearing a collar with no tags. He didn't really look like he'd starved long, but was very thin, weighed 14 pounds, quickly went to 20 pounds and stayed there. And he was obviously already housebroken when we got him. We bought one of the large "crates" for crate training, but very quickly found we could just leave it open all the time in our bedroom and that's where he went to bed whenever I went to bed. There were a few occasions when we had to be gone all day (up to 14 hours) and he was loose in the house, never messed with anything or had any "accidents."

And as much energy as he had, and as much as he loved to run and play, when I sat down in my big recliner, he thought he was supposed to either be lying in my lap or snuggled down between me and the arm of the chair and he'd lay there quietly as long as I sat there. That is unless I stayed too late. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Because about 10 p.m., he'd get up, go to the bedroom door, look back at me, and if I ignored him, he'd come stand in front of me and look at me until I looked at him, and then he'd go back to the bedroom door and look and wait for me to follow.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Maybe I could teach it to ride the hood of my tractor

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I suspect; don't reallly know, that it was individual personality instead of the breed, but Buster did NOT want to be anywhere near the tractor when the engine was running.

The attached is not a very good picture, especially the eyes but I snapped it while the tennis ball was still in the air.