Thread: Rednecked Hummers gone for the season

Rednecked Hummers gone for the season

We have had hords of hummers this year but they began to thin out a couple weeks ago and now I haen't seen one for nearly a week. Time to secure the feeder.

there seems to be mixed advice (urban legend?) about taking in your feeders to get the hummers to leave before cold weather gets them. I thought that might be bunk. We kept our feeders full and they left a week or two ahead of schedule (as per book on the state's birds) The book was right that the sexes depart at different times. Juveniles and females go separately from the adult males.
    Scissor tailed flycatchers are our state bird and will leave for the tropics before too long. They just vacation here.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: Rednecked Hummers gone for the season

We pulled our feeders in last week. I saw more hummers this year than I've seen in several years.
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

Re: Rednecked Hummers gone for the season

We've not put feeders out this year, too many stinging insects for the birds to compete with. Sure was fun watching the hummingbird wars when the juvies were coming in to feed. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    A man's likely to mind his own business, if it is worth mindin' - Eric Hoffer