Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A rural vehicle weekend

Re: A rural vehicle weekend

Well, I've been shopping.....

I had originally been looking for an Oliver, or Farmall, but I've recently become friends with a neighbor who happens to be the president of the local JD 2 cylinder club.

He has convinced me to "see the light". (lol) There is something undeniably appealing about 2 cylinders that big, and those huge flywheels.

So now I'm looking for either an "A" or "G" or one of their later derivatives (I still haven't been able to remember which numbers came from which letter series....)

And yes, I am looking forward to something much less high tech. After a weekly dose of BMW super-high tech something I can fix with a kind word and a pat on the gearcase will be a welcome change.

Gregg
    Remember - If I sound like I know nothing about farming it's because I really don't!

That Old Green sound becomes addictive. The exhaust and air intake have a very unique look too.

Remember when you could climb in beside the engine to change spark plugs?

As an update flushed the rad with some cleaner and put new antifreeze in the car. Still a pain bleeding all the air out.

Egon

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I've owned about nine or ten pickups and suburbans with the Chev-Lay V8 engines and my favorite trick is to drill a small hole in the thermostat to help the engine "burp" and make it easier to fill. The small block Shiv-Lays don't have a water by-pass so it also helps to smooth out the thermostat operation as well. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Yesterday I finished putting a toilet paper oil filter on our John Deere. I'm attempting to somewhat clean up the residual gook that is left in the engine dating back to the EISENHOWER ADMINISTRATION. We used to use these TP filters back in the fifties and early sixties. Nowadays they are no longer in vogue; the oil companies don't like them because the oil never gets dirty, and it was also determined that filtration media below five microns will screen out the additive package in the oil that the modern high-reving, high-stress engines need to survive. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] My all-time favorite John Deere is the side-by-side-stacked Model G. The view between the stacks as you drive one is nothing if not unique. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Gregg........If you want to see evidence of a real "love affair", look at TWO-CYLINDER MAGAZINE Nov-Dec 2002 and read my article titled: "Vibrating Down Memory Lane" in the perspectives section. The article is about getting back on a "G" after 35 years. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Dave:

I'm not sure where the thermostat is but if it's where intuition tells me the fuel injection system, or parts of it may have to be removed to access the thermost.
    Egon

[img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] That's probably true....I THINK the one on the QUAD FOUR is under the engine on the back side. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] It isn't uncommon to see small air purge lines on industrial engines to help them "burp" when the thermostat is closed. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Egon, a fellow maritimer! I am lucky to own japanese vehicles, they may rust apart out here but the thermostat is easy to get to!

By any chance do you have a Suzuki.

Egon

Well, I have a few Suzuki Samurai's and a few subaru Justys along with a Geo Tracker, a Dodge Dakota and hmm, I guess that's it! Time to get rid of a fe w of them!