Thread: Why I commute/live in the country

Why I commute/live in the country

<font color="blue"> Just returned home from a ride on the bike and a brew at the gun club. The wife was in a fit when I got there, the youngest son was just violated in the city. He went to a birthday dinner at a popular downtown restaurant and while he was eating, his vehicle was trashed by the locals. Window broken and dash ripped apart, he is a mess. I have worked around that sewer for years, it only gets worse. The politicians throw more and more money at the declining urban areas but never address the real problem. There is a bad element, the welfare/drug addict sub-culture that has to be dealt with before any progress can be made. This same scenario has played out with me a couple of times, fortunately I have had company vehicles so the only loss I suffered was my personal possessions within the vehicle.

I really appreciate my home when these things happen. Nestled in the country, good neighbors and the right to keep and bear arms. Urban sprawl is a pipe dream of some liberal with rose colored glasses. It is the flight of decent folks from a decadent city environment and repulsive sub-culture. </font color>
    Bayrat

Re: Why I commute/live in the country

<font color="blue"> I really appreciate my home when these things happen. Nestled in the country, good neighbors and the right to keep and bear arms. Urban sprawl is a pipe dream of some liberal with rose colored glasses. </font color> As do I. Last time I moved, I stupidly thought it would be the last. Unfortunately, urban sprawl is passing me up and traffic / crime is increasing at a horrific pace. I no longer have to get the "big town" news to feel nauseous, lately the 2x per week local does just fine.

Dale

Sorry about your son's car. At least he was not harmed. I live thirty miles south of Rochester and I agree with you. When I was growing up in the city, we would ride our bikes from east to west and never had a problem.

My father owned businesses in the heart of the city and had relatively few problems. That is not the case now. The city is a mess and the politicians are not solving the problems. Then again until the citizens of the city become more responsible then no one will solve the problems.

I gave up on the city years ago and never looked back.

You are in some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen quite frankly. This time of year it is especially breathtaking. Until laws are enforced, welfare is no longer allowed to be a way of life and family values are at the top of the agenda, it will not improve. Throw any amount of $$ at it you want, call it what you want, won't get better until the entitlements are gone.
    Bayrat

<font color="green">You are in some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen quite frankly. This time of year it is especially breathtaking. </font color>

Thank you, we love our property. I like to describe it as the land no farmer wanted. It is 23 acres with only three level building sites. The rest is ravines and steep hillsides.
    The leaves are putting on a wonderful show right now and our maple woods are ablaze with color.

I spent 31 years in public education and could not agree more that strong family values would solve the majority of our problems. There are hundreds of situations that crossed my desk in those years that made me believe that some people should just not have kids. The vast majority of the students in my school had strong families backing them up and therefore behaved well. That was because the parents expected it, even demanded it. Those parents did their job and did not make excuses for their children’s behavior.

Amen
    Bayrat

You put me in mind of a trip we made to Cornell to look at sheep. Somehow we got lost in Rochester and ended up in what I would call downtown. Crossing through one intersection we went from a nice city to a ghetto-like area, graffiti on every wall, broken windows, bars on every storefront.What amazed me the most was a backhoe left on the side of the street apparently in the middle of a dig, the dirt was hardly dry and every window was smashed out and three out of four tires flat, Boy we couldn't get out of there fast enough and this was around 6:30 in the evening. Fingerlakes area was really nice, reminded me of home.

<font color="green"> Crossing through one intersection we went from a nice city to a ghetto-like area, graffiti on every wall, broken windows, bars on every storefront.What amazed me the most was a backhoe left on the side of the street apparently in the middle of a dig, the dirt was hardly dry and every window was smashed out and three out of four tires flat, Boy we couldn't get out of there fast enough and this was around 6:30 in the evening. </font color>

Sad to see what has happened to the center of our city.

Cornell is a great place, our son spent his undergrad years there.