Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: house boat

Re: house boat update

completion of pontoons, They will be grit blasted and painted with epoxy tar on monday, Check them out

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/vin_dowd/my_photos
    made in Korea Vin

Looks real good. Keep us updated.

Egon

Nice job! Very impressive.

I was some concerned about the pressure test... lots of area so not many psi makes BIG force. But... if it didn't distort, it didn't distort. What is that epoxy stuff anyway? Glad you are using an epoxy based coating. My welding, if it didn't leak immediately would likely leak later with the slightest chance to corrode.

Are you coating the inside of the tanks with a protective coating? IF yes, what? Will you be using any cathodic protection either passive (zincs) or active (electronic?)

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat
    I pressure tested each section (every 4 ft) to 2 psi then used soapy water to check for leaks. I have since found out that our state gov authorities recommend that you don"t exceed 1/2 psi
    Epoxy tar is a two pack type of paint it goes on at 1 litre to the metre2 (or about 2 pints to yard2)
    Yes cathodic protection will be used by way of zinc anoids, 2 on each end of each pontoon.
    made in Korea Vin

DAEDONG, Well, if you tested to 4x the state recommendation and it held pressure without excessive distortion, it was a strong design and good welds. Boy, when I guestimated the area in square inches and multiplied times 4 psi, I was a bit nervous but reality not my guess is what counts.

Did you weld some studs (bolts) to he ends of the floats to attach zincs or weld on tabs to allow "through bolting?" I found that you need a fair sized contact area for the zinc to contact its mount as in use the contact area may corrode a bit and not make the best connection.

I used to dive on my boat and vigorously brush the zincs at least once a month to keep them working good and to allow good inspection of condition to determine if they need to be replaced.

It is amazing how fast a zinc can be consumed if there is any stray electrical current. I suppose the only metal you have in the water is your floats and and anything for propulsion.

Is this going to be a barge or will it be powered and self propelled? I used to be fascinated by some of the two story and split level, more or less conventional homes, that were built on barges and anchored in a "free" anchorage in San Diego bay in past years. All that is gone now and mooring buoys were installed and rented. A lot less "free" parking for transient boats seeking a temporary stopover.

Best to you with your boat/house building this fine year of 2004.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"