Thread: Container Barn?

Container Barn?

I would like to have some immediate secure storage at our weekend place and have been considering a container. I have also given thought to placing two, 40 ft. containers about 20 ft. apart, with a slab in the middle, then eventually putting some pre-built trusses and a metal roof over them to make a semi-enclosed barn. Just leave it open on both ends for ventilation to accomodate the Texas weather. Use the middle as a work area and carport. Tools in one container, tractors in the other. Painted up it might almost pass as a regular building. Anybody ever heard of this setup?

Re: Container Barn?

I used a container for a while. You need some sort of roof, or the water accumulates and it rusts. Plus they get real hot inside, even with the door open. And the ceiling is pretty low. I would use one if I had one, but I'd build a frame structure first.

Re: Container Barn?

I saw some container buildings on my trip out west this summer. In Alberta Canada if I remember right. They used a 9ft tall container and had trusses between. Couldn't tell if there was a pad or not.

I was thinking about using one to put on my land while building the shop, they seem to be pretty theft resistant as far as common break and enters.

My problems is the opposite of the heat, they are hard to insulate and heat in the winter! The ports here have dented ones for sale for good prices that would do for a while.
    Ken