Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cat people

cat people

i am sorry for generalizing, but i am very upset right now. it seems that many of the cat people in my area hate dogs! i had a lady today yell at me because my dogs wanted to chase her cats! heres where the problems starts....i was walking my dogs on leash, her cats were not! i know maryland state law for dogs, and they have to be on leash, but what about cats? i cant believe she told me that my dogs were out of control! to which i replied show me a dog that is not interested in cats and i will show you a dead dog. she didnt like that very much.

i mean who does not know that dogs like to chase cats and that if you let your cat out you are putting it in a situation that could be dangerous to the cat? if i had allowed it one of my dogs could have gotton her cats on leash, but i am a good dog owner.

i dont know, i guess humans by nature are cruel animals.

thanks for letting me vent

Re: cat people

I cast my vote for "Mosey" as Cat Man. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Mosey a cat man??? Never.......... [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I have cats and a dog. He'll kinda chase the cats in the house but he knows "Dad" will be on him in a heartbeat. He will bark his fool head off at the neighbors cats, but thats when I make him come in. I don't want him to annoy the neighbors. If he got loose, he'd chase them until the run up a tree.......he just wants to play, he's only 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    I don't let him run loose.....the road is too close and the speed limit is 55, everyone runs 65 and he has no fear whatsoever for the road. I've seen him run at full throttle across the road to "get to know" 4 beagles a neighbor was walking.
    The cats were raised indoor only....when we lived in town. Now that we're out here, I can't turn them loose, I'd not like to see something happen to them.

yeah my "big dog" grew up with cats and really loves them, but most cats dont realize this and run. when they run, her prey instinct takes over and has to catch them. this is why i take them out on lease. every try to catch a dog running after something at 40+ miles an hour!

I have a buddy of mine that has probably 6 cats and resently aquired a older chow puppy and they get along great.

As far as that ole bitty complaining about your leashed dog... I believe the leash law includes all animals, not only dogs [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I have a buddy of mine that has probably 6 cats and resently aquired a older chow puppy and they get along great.

As far as that ole bitty complaining about your leashed dog... I believe the leash law includes all animals, not only dogs [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Cat... The other white meat [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

<font color="purple"> maryland state law for dogs </font color>

The leash laws are usually at the county or city level. Montgomery County MD's leash law is somewhat enlightened, in that it specifies your dog must be under your "direct control", not necessarily on lead. Meaning, if obediance training permits you to control your dog without a leash, then that's OK. Likewise, you can have a dog that is on a leash that is out of your control.

I've got cats, but since I don't want dogs (or coyotes) to chase them I keep them inside. The food chain is a reality, after all.

But there are specific laws about dogs that don't apply to cats. In most states, a dog is considered "personal property" (which is one of the reasons you're required to license them). Cats are not. I'm not quite sure I understand why that is, though, but it is. Anyway, the fact that they are property means that if they cause any harm to others that you as the owner are responsible. (Same deal as if your cows get on the road and someone hits them you're the responsible party in most cases.)

Another example is if someone's dog gets on your property and kills your chickens (livestock). The owner of the dog is responsible for keeping the animal away from someone else's means of making a living. No such rule for cats, although most of my chickens would probably make mincemeat out of a cat [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]...

thats not the law here in maryland. after dealing with this womam i got on the phone with my lawyer. winds up that marylands leash law is for all pets. if you take your dog, cat, ferrer, bird, etc off your property you must have it on a leash. as well cats in the state of maryland must be liscensed just like a dog. this lady was just unplesent. i have no issues with cats, some are pretty cool. but if you take your cats outside you cannot expect a dog to not be interested, and you especialy not get upset with someone when there dogs look for the cats when the dogs are on leash and the cats are not!