Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cat people

Re: cat people

<font color="blue"> bird, etc off your property you must have it on a leash </font color>

Love to see someone with a bird on a leash [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]. I'm sure it's been done...

<font color="blue"> if you take your cats outside you cannot expect a dog to not be interested </font color>

Couldn't agree with you more. Our cats are indoor only because we want to spare them the reality of Real Life Outdoors. They ever decide they want to face it, they're on their own out there. And one of the true realities of life is, "Dogs chase cats".

You put your cats out where dogs could be, you should be ready to deal with the obvious result.

I've battled the dog/cat relationship problem with my own pets for years. Being successful in getting my dogs to accept being around cats has always depended on the cat's attitude. If you can train the cat to not run or try to fight, be passive, they can become friends or at least tolerate each other. The moment a stupid cat thinks he's in control, he's decapitated. I've never had near the problem between a dog and a chicken, rabbit, duck, or even a goose. A smart dog around nervous horses will know to lie down and play coward. I'd blame the cat owner for not training the cat, impossible as that sounds.

Based on the same canine behaviour, I blame parents for 90% of the dog-bites inflicted on children. With dogs being such a common domestic species it is a parent's responsibility to teach their kids how to behave, respect, and be comfortable around dogs and how to recognize, avoid, or react to signs of aggression.

I use the phrase "respect all - fear none" with my kids in talking about both animal and people relationships, if only I could get over my morbid fear of water moccasins.

I've been too busy to keep up with this forum lately, so I realize this is an old thread. But, I see I'm still remembered! Believe it or not, the cats are still around. I even "built" them a new house. It's made of straw bales stacked up and the roof is supported with wood so the bales don't collapse in on them, then the whole thing is covered with a camo tarp. It's pretty cozy!

Danny.........I'm proud of ya.... [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Danny if you were a "Virgina Slim" I'd say you have come a long way baby. Cats are cool little critters.

Would this 'new house' be anywhere near where you wanted their litter box to be? [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Good plan. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Steve

Saw a funny bumper sticker...
    "I just love Cats...want to share recipes? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Alright, alright...dogs and cats are both great to have around in my book.

"Would this 'new house' be anywhere near where you wanted their litter box to be?"

Absolutely! I don't remember who it was, but someone (either here or on TBN) pointed out to me a while ago that cats like to eat, poop, and sleep in the same area and not have to go very far for any of those 3 things. The problem is, we have to walk out to "their" area every time we feed them, which is not problem most of the time but a real pain when it's pouring down rain or has been raining and the ground is wet and muddy between our house and their house. At least the mouse problem is taken care of, although I'm not convinced the mice were more trouble than the cats!

It used to bug me that dogs had to be fenced, tied, or leashed and cats were free to roam. It expecially bugged me that it was a felony to do anything to a cat (InSane Diego, AKA San Diego). I am probably guilty of something regarding animal cruelty for making a motion detector operated rainbird sprinkler to keep cats out of my flowerbeds. I got over the cats free to roam thing. It doesn't bother me much anymore, especially since I moved to rural Oklahoma and can shoot feral cats if the coyote, lynx, fox, bobcat, or puma don't get them. If they'd stick to rats and mice and stop stalking birds at my feeders, I'd be their best friend but they don't want to be that way.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Cats will always kill birds every chance they get. It's their instict to do so and you can't change Mother Nature!