Thread: Gooseneck Trailer Hitch Adjustment

Gooseneck Trailer Hitch Adjustment

I just brought my first gooseneck horse trailer. Its a used a 3 horse slant with dressing room. I've taken my first extended trip and really like it. However, I notice the the hitch on the trailer can be adjusted up and down. How do you determine whats the correct height?

Larry
    Larry

Re: Gooseneck Trailer Hitch Adjustment

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] On trailers with more than one axle, it's important to run the trailer frame level so that the little rocker arms between axles aren't bottomed out. All you need to look at is the LOADED position of the trailer. Is it level? If not....get busy and make some adjustments. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    CJDave

I was told on my BOSS 24 foot gooseneck stock trailer that the recomended height was 3 inches higher in front than the back when loaded.The front tires run hotter than the rear ones and so do the hubs when it is level.

Missourihick, I've been pulling trailers for more than 45 years and never heard that before. Right now, at least, I can't think of any trailer that should not be level when loaded. For both, or all, axles and tires to run the same heat, I would think you would want the weight on each to be the same, and the tire pressure on each to be the same. I can think of ways it would be possible to build a trailer so that one end or the other would be higher and still have the weight equal, and I'm not familiar with your BOSS 24, so perhaps it's designed that way, but the customary rule is for a trailer to be level.

I'm with Bird. If at all possible you should have your trailer level. Not only for the axles but also for the livestock. It's really hard on the animals to ride uphill.

Stuff in a non level trailer also has a tendency to move around a lot easier.

Egon