Thread: Do Hornets use same nest next year?

Do Hornets use same nest next year?

Hi All, new member here. Working around the edge of the woods this weekend I noticed a hornet nest hanging off a branch about 50' up. It's one of those grey paper types, about as big as a football. My questions are several: Do the hornets overwinter in the nest, or is it/will it be abandoned when winter sets in? If they vacate, do they come back to the same nest next year? And lastly, the thing's so high up that the only way I can figure to remove it is to shoot it with a few rounds from my shotgun and hope it drops or blows to pieces...any better ideas? Thanks in advance for any info and comments.

Re: Do Hornets use same nest next year?

They will overwinter. Magpies, bluejays and ravens will make short work of it if they find it in the winter.

Egon

Not sure, but I give em one round with a shotgun early in the morning when the temp is still in the 20s (then run like heck!) and watch the birds finish the job.

Pete

Save that nest material, it makes great wadding for blackpowder rifles.
    A man's likely to mind his own business, if it is worth mindin' - Eric Hoffer

I was cutting the grass this weekend when I noticed my hornets' nest had broken up on its own...a large chunk on the ground and the top half still connected to the limb. While we haven't had any killing frost yet, and otherwise the recent weather has been pretty balmy, it appeared the nest had been vacated previously. Glad it/they aren't around regardless. Thanks for the responses!