Thread: 115 Johnson Outboard

115 Johnson Outboard

Anybody pulled the bearing carrier in the lower unit? I have heard everything from having to heat the lower unit to get it to come out vs. it should just pop out pretty easy.

Anybody got some experience to share?

Gary

Re: 115 Johnson Outboard

Hi Gary -

I have pulled apart these gearcases before. The way the dealers do it is with a special tool. Basically the tool is a dent puller with a hook on the end instead of a screw. The hook is placed around one of the cross pieces at the back of the bearing housing, then the slide hammer is used (carefully) to pull out the housing.

If you have a dent puller, you can loop a length of chain around the cross pieces on the bearing housing. Then attach the chain to the dent puller with washers and a nut.

If you don't have a dent puller, loop a chain around the cross pieces and fasten the ends of the chain together with a bolt and nut. Hang the loop of chain over the head of a sledge hammer and gently jerk back repeatedly with the sledge hammer to pull out the housing.

Watch for an o-ring at the front of the housing. Make sure it is in good condition and that it stays in its groove during re-assembly.

Steve

Re: 115 Johnson Outboard

Thanks Steve!!

I have a dent/axle puller and will give that a shot. That front o-ring is my problem. I have gear case oil coming out of the prop and the prop shaft seals are good so.... I am going to replace the orings on the four bolts and the big oring up front. I was thinking of cleaning the housing with some berryman's b12 or brake cleaner, something that evaporates pretty fast and cleans well and use some permatex aviation sealant on the orings. Sound good?

I drained some of the gear oil and it is fine, no watery froth in the oil. Got lucky for once [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Thanks again!