Thread: Lake Michigan Salmon

Lake Michigan Salmon

I spent last week in Milwaukee on business and had some spare time to explore a little, especially around the shore of Lake Michigan. Dry-docking companies must make a mint this time of year. I was astonished at all the huge salmon I saw in the shallows with diseased-looking skin. Then later in downtown it was very shocking to see dozens of these fish floating dead in the Milwaukee River causing quite a stench. When I asked the locals they just kinda remarked "they're going through the dying phase" like it was a well-known fact of life. They seemed to imply they weren't even fit to eat. I'd much rather seem ignorant on a computer than face-to-face so I ask, what is the biology going on with this "dying phase"?

BTW, the look on the checked baggage X-rayer's face was priceless when my duffel full of Usinger's summer sausage, 7-year old cheddar, and misc coils of computer wire went through the machine at the airport coming home. If I hadn't stuck around and soothed their fears a LITTLE by showing them the sales receipts I fear they would have evacuated the building!

Re: Lake Michigan Salmon

I don't know the particulars too well but part of the life cycle of salmon is swimming upstream to spawn. After this they die, which is what you saw. It's common this time of year to fish in the rivers leading into the great lakes. The fish are all the four year olds heading upstream. Big fish, not the best eating but great smoked [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    Rob

Re: Lake Michigan Salmon

As above, the salmon are actually dying as they run up-river to spawn. The most incredible are the male sockeye salmon that develop a grotesque jawbone growth and become bright red. They literally die from the inside out. If you catch them on the way up river they are so-so in terms of taste, and they are difficult to catch since they don't have much interest in eating. After spawning the meat is fit only for bears, IMHO. A simple salmon life cycle article.