Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabinet Building

Cabinet Building

Has anyone built cabinets using Anthony Guidice's method?
    He has a book out, "Quick And Easy Custom Cabinets", and his method seems very easy and functional.
    Basically, a biscuit jointer, table saw and drill are the tools used. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    I'm getting ready to build cabinets using that method and was just wanting to learn by other's mistakes. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

Re: Cabinet Building

I am not familiar with the book, but I haven't bought a cabinet in a long time. Basically I make 'european' style cabinets, which are frameless, although if you want to add a frame its real easy. I use either melamine (presswood) or baltic birtch ply and make a box. No need for a bisquit joint as long as you put a back on (i.e. 1/4" luan plywood). Saves mucho $$: I make a few $60 or $90 cabinets out of a $30 sheet of material!

Its pretty straightforeward: cut pieces 24" or 12" wide (or whatever is appropriate) and 30 or 48" tall then screw them together for the boxes. I usually get a tear-off sheet from home depot or whereever that shows standard sizes, which are my final dimensions. That way, now or in the future if I want to use fancy store bought doors, even though I haven't bothered with that either.

The trick when cutting sheets is to have a sharp blade and support the sheet with an outfeed table or whatever while cutting.

Thanks.
    I was looking at that method also.
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

I have a book on Kitchen cabinet building. The main thing is to make them to industrial standard measurements. This way appliances like your stove/range are at the right highth with the counter top for saftey reasons. Also for selling purposes. When i get a chance ill scan some pages from it to give you an idea. This book is by "Jim Tolpin"
    Larry

Thanks, Larry.
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

Hey Fivestring,
    sorry i hadent got back to ya sooner, but ive been on the constant move. I dig the book out and scaned just the page on standard heights and depths of cabinetry. There are so many ways to build the cabinets yet you should keep stuff to the standards. Thats my opinion though. I also feel to utilize the work triangle method. Its the path from and between your major appliances. In your searches you will come across that stuff. And may already know. Attached is the page from my book on it.
    Hope it helps some, Larry

Thanks for the info. I will use the measurements for my cabinets.

"I also feel to utilize the work triangle method. "

What is the work triangle method?
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

It's the invisible path on the floor from your refrigerator, stove, and sink. These are the most used areas when cooking. You wanna keep these paths under 6 ft. and keep them as equadistant as is convenient.

Okay.

Shows how much time I spend in the kitchen, eh? [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

My triangle would be refrigerator, sink and microwave... [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

Mine too. The SO will like it though... [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]