Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Dreamed of Florida

I Dreamed of Florida

Okay,it's not 'I Dreamed of Africa' and I'm not Kim Bassinger, but it's close.

There's a scene in 'I Dreamed of Africa' where Kim chases a bull elephant out of her garden. This morning I chased a bull 'bull' out of my grove. Reckon that counts? Kim got an Oscar. What do I get?

The dogs were sleeping on the job. Not the first bark at this intruder. What possessed me to look out my bedroom window to begin with was the wind. It sounded like it was trying to take the roof off, so there is the very real possibility that the dogs simply did not hear this massive creature stumbling around out there. Too much banging and wailing going on.

For a long while, looking out my bedroom window was a waste of time, as my window treatment on that side of the house was tin foil taped inside the glass to knock out the afternoon sun.

Before you go passing judgment, it was the deluxe heavy duty kind. Cheap I am not. But tin foil curtains are still not conducive to external viewing. You look out, you see a blurry vision of yourself looking back in.

One day I pecked a little porthole in it for convenience sake and the hole grew until it was all hole and no tinfoil. It was a sad waste of quality drape material, but that's the way it goes. Anyway, now that looking out is once again a possibility I have almost abused the privilege and look to my heart's content. Which is how I spotted this bull.

Why he was over here, instead of where he belonged, in the next pasture, was obvious. He was eating oranges off my trees. They are just beginning to turn yellowish orange and I guess to him, the grove kind of looked like the witch's place in Hansel and Gretel. To good to pass up.

Events like this always have a bad effect on me. I tend to act first and think later, or more accurately, 'regret' later. I raced across the room, grabbed the hot shot and flung open the door. Then I thought better of my hasty barefooted departure, and stopped to put on Fred's boots. I was bent over pulling on the last boot, when the wind caught the door and beaned me with it.

I brushed that off as payment for stupidity, rubbed my head briskly, muttered a few choice words and tripped down the steps and out into the yard. The wind made coveralls out of the housedress I was wearing, so when I wasn't tripping over my big feet I was being 'legged' by my own clothing.

I started yelling first, hoping that that would be enough, but the wind merely snatched my words out of the air and flung them back at me. I made it to the fence that separates the grove from the pasture and stepped daintily over it, at which point the wind caught my lovely housedress once again and blindfolded me. There are definite advantages to living on thirty acres out of view of laughing neighbors.

By this time the bull had noticed me, and having the advantage of a closer view, I couldn't help but notice him in more alarming detail. He was huge, solid black, with horns that ran at least three feet tip to tip and was clearly not the slightest bit concerned about me.

I played my trump card, brandishing the hot shot over my head menacingly. The thing about hot shots, is if an animal has never experienced one, to them they just look like a shiny stick much too small to do any real damage. Dang it.

Finally the dogs caught on and began to raise holy heck.

"'Bout time!" I admonished them.

The dogs seemed to get the bull's attention, so I added my own din to that of the dog's, and between the three of us noisy critters the bull seemed to get the impression that he might not be welcome here.

After one last juicy orange he began a slow trek to the fenceline stopping occasionally to munch on the stray bit of grass here or there. That made me mad. He was leaving, but he was acting like it was all his idea. So I picked up whatever I could put my hands on, sticks, dirt clods, whatever was handy and began flinging them at them. I was hit as often as he was due to the wind, but I chose to ignore that fact and rejoice in the ones that made contact.

He kicked it up to a lazy trot just before the three foot piece of one by six bounced of his rear end causing him to kick up his hells in a more satisfactory manner. I didn't just want him to leave. I wanted him to not come back. The one by six settled it. He took off at a lumbering gallop and after running up and down the fenceline for a few minutes, he found the low spot that he had come over and exited my property.

It is my hope that he will think twice about coming back, at least until we can add another strand or two of barbed wire to the fence. I know I probably didn't look as fetching or sexy as Kim while chasing this bull out of my grove but I got the job done, however clumsily, and I think I deserve a reward too. Not necessarily an Oscar. Maybe a Larry or a Howard. Whatever. I'm a woman with tin foil window treatments. I'm clearly not picky.

Re: I Dreamed of Florida

Almost sounds like another movie, "Gone With the Wind", in regards to your bull chasing clothing! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] This reminded me of the time the dog was raising cain about something in the middle of the night. Awakened from a sound sleep, I grabbed a flashlight, put on my bedroom slippers and went out to see what was going on. I stepped out on the back porch to be greeted by one of the largest raccoons I have seen in awhile. He had his ears laid back, was crouching and hissing. I think he had a knife! Anyway he made snide remarks about my attire, briefs and house shoes! I think the only thing that saved me from attack was that he was too busy laughing! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I went back in the house and grabbed the .22 rifle, but the cur slipped away in my absence leaving me with my humiliation. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
    Needless to say, I set the the live trap the next few nights. Thats just one of the pleasures of living in the boondocks.
    BTW excellent story.

It's funny but I haven't seen the first raccoon up close out here. I see them from a distance, but with four dogs and two cats I guess they figure it's too much of a risk. You're a braver person than I am confronting a raccoon, they are scary.

Yep, it's all part of country living and the one big bonus is wearing whatever you choose to (or not) out of doors with little or no consequence. Unless the bottled water guy comes. But that's another story. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Unless the bottled water guy comes. But that's another story.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Or the blind man!

Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

I had a funny situation not too long ago. Lately, the feral pigs have started tearing up the horse pastures, and I was getting mad. My brother slept over one night, and the following morning he woke me at 0530 to tell me the pig was in the pasture again. So, I ran a grabbed my .308 and headed out the back door. I turned around and headed back into the house thinking I needed shoes. My wife says, do you want your pants? Since I was in my underwear. In my mind, I only needed shoes! So there I am chasing a pig in my underwear with a rifle in my hands. By the time, I get in position to shoot I hear my 2 year who is in the house banging on the window, yelling, "no shoot piggy! I like piggy!" Lucky for the pig, he heard my daughter and took off before I could shoot. I guess all the activity in the house before I got out the door woke the family.... About an hour later, of course we are all awake, we have breakfast, with sausage and eggs. I ask my 2 year old if she likes sausage! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Then my 5 year old looks at me, and says, "You should have shot that pig daddy! " What a funny morning! Glad I don't have neighbors that could not see me!

Joe

Coons scarry? I have live trapped 5 so far in one gardening season but my best coon story follows:

My niece lived between Big Bear Lake and Lake Arrowhead and they had been having trouble with coons in their trash cans making noise and a mess. So one evening her husband the brave vigilant sort hears a noise at the trash cans and goes running out in a T shirt and barefoot to shoo the coons and nearly collides with a large black bear before spinning about and dashing for the hose, slamming the door, locking it and getting his gun.

I told him his big mistake was in not ringing the doorbell on the way back into the house and shouting out, "honey, its for you!"

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I can not even imagine what it must be like to live with bears. I don't think I could do it. We have a few bobcats and foxes but that's about as bad as it gets for predators out here.

Joe where is St Cloud? We have the wild hogs all the time too. It's one of the primary reasons I won't go back to the woods alone. Ewwww. You never know when you'll run into one of those suckers. We do get a lot of good fresh wild pork though, thanks to my son.

I am East of St.Cloud off of Old Melbourne Hwy. My property is adjacent to the Deseret Ranch and Lake X. The Deseret Ranch has 360K acres of ranch land, and plenty of feral pigs. So the pigs just wander from their ranch into my property. They hunt them too, but with 360K acres of land, they can't keep up with them either.

Cindi, When you go out in the woods, carry a pistol, be a pistol packing mama. A .357 or better will deter errant pork. You can load the first 2-3 chambers with shot which doesn't need to be so carefully aimed in close quarters. It can deter the porker at a fair distance and up close can blind him making the follow up shots with "real bullets" not quite so hurried.

In this modern era it is OK for the woman to bring home the bacon!

You would have made out like all the frontier women, living with bears. The griz used to roam most of the continent and were numerous on the plains before they were made war upon. Now you pretty much have to purposely go where the griz are to encounter one.

I took my wife, mom, and a friend fishing in Alaska and felt responsible for their safety so I carried my .44 mag six shooter and a 3 inch 12 ga mag pump with extended tube feed and pistol grip slung over my shoulder so it would hang vertically in the middle of my back and not interfere with fishing. I hoped that I would not have a bear encounter but wanted to be prepared in case Mr. Bear took offence at our fishing in his rivers. Only saw griz at a distance and was real happy as I sure didn't want to have to shoot one for just acting like a bear.

Black bear are a lot more treacherous that they are commonly thought. If a griz charges it is usually a false charge and based on teritoriality, but if a black bear starts toward you it is because he plans to eat you. This of course gets camoflaged by all the black bears that have been conditioned by contact with man and or his food/garbage. Out in the deep woods with "untrainied bears" if a black takes an interest he is stalking you for food.

Still, bears conditioned to get garbage are not tame and my niece's husband did the right thing, got the heck away from the bear. There are black bear in Oklahoma but principally in the eastern mountanious regions and not that many. We have alligators in the southeast part of the state, not so far from Louisianna. They have only rarely been seen very far up the rivers away from the southeast corner. You would be more likely to encounter an alligator snapping turtle.

We don't see too many scary animals besides snakes around here in south central Oklalhoma. Bobcat could get nasty if you accidently corner one in the hen house. A big coon could teach you respect for nature in a heartbeat if he felt threatened. The hissing and snapping show is all you usually get.

I guess the single most dangerous critter in the state, responsible for more traffic accidents than even teenagers according to recently announced statistics, is the white tailed deer. How does Bambi go so bad?

Are you ready for Christmas yet? It is coming soon to a culture near you.

pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I am SO sorry to have been away so long! Ready for Christmas, yes, it's come and gone and the tree is now down! Lol! I lost all my links and had a heck of a time trying to find all the places I had visisted.

Thanks for all the good info, we have snakes, bobcats, a few panthers, wild dogs, gators and like Joe said, the wild hogs that threaten but that's about it really.