Thread: Keeping the water back

Keeping the water back

Here is my situation. I am working on some property that I am buying from my grandmother. I hope to build a house there next year. The property has a creek that runs year round and about once a year or two we get that rare rain that get the creek way up. The creek has a high bank on one side, about 3 feet higher than normal level. There is one spot that the bank is only 6" to a foot and that is where the water comes spilling over. I want to fix the low spot and I want to fix it good. The spot is about 15-20 wide. I have consider stacking quik crete and driving rebar through the bags and then backfilling on the dry side with dirt. Any suggestions. I am attaching a picture of where my driveway will be and what it looked like back in May when we had about 3 hard days of rain. At this time I only added about 6" of dirt to my future driveway.
    Brent Pepper
    In God We Trust

Re: Keeping the water back

Tractors4,

Talk to the Corps of Engineers and/or the state environmental
    aganecies. If sounds like you want to build up the land to stop
    the creek from overflowing. That might be illegal.

If its ok to do I would talk to an engineer on how to build up the
    bank so that it is less likely to fail.

Later,
    Dan

Re: Keeping the water back

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I have seen that bag trick used in some hiway jobs where they had periodic....but relatively rare.....flooding and they wanted to line the banks around a culvert. It is, however not commonly used for what you are considering. Normally, a creek bank is raised by backfilling with "very dirty" 3/4-minus gravel and then covered with dirt from either the surrounding area, or import. Creeks can scour pretty effectively at high water levels, so a larger, longer, dirt bank would be perferrable to a smaller bank made of bags. What might end up happening is that you would end up with an island of bags with water rushing by on the ends. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave