Thread: Difference between Stihl 026 and MS 260?

Difference between Stihl 026 and MS 260?

I can't seem to find what is the differnce between these saws? Some people list them as the same saw. The only visible difference I saw was the quick open tank caps?
    Ken

Re: Difference between Stihl 026 and MS 260?

Cosmetic changes to the outside including the tank covers, carburetor cover, etc. no engine mods. The 026 was changed to the MS260 2 years ago. Assuming you're in the market to buy, the 026 should have a better price tag. Don't know if you would get any warranty repair on the 026 either.

I missed out on buying it. Locally a brand new MS260 with that woodpro kit (case chain hat) on sale is 600$ Cdn

The 026 sold for 320$ Cdn.

The price of the things drives me nuts here, a Husquvarna 345 is 435$ Cdn here, accros the border in Maine it is about 330$ Cdn.

I picked up the MS 260 new from the local dealer. Tryed it out yesterday on an old fallen elm about 36" in diameter, worked great! Had to use the axe to knock out chunks so we could get all the way through.

Little heavier than the little pruning saw I had been using but a lot lighter than my dads Partner R16 I had used as well.

Nice not having to refuel every 2 secs like the pruning saw. I will get a smaller bar and chain for brush clearing. It came with a 15" (dealer said 15 but it measures 16) bar but I'm thinking a 12" would be handy near the ground.

Good dealer, he sat down for nearly an hour with me and showed how to sharpen chain correctly. He also showed me the incorrect way that a lot of guys use to cut "harder" and explained all the reasons not to do it.

I had been doing it wrong in the past, I feel a lot smarter now!