Thread: Machine Shed to Stable

Machine Shed to Stable

I have a 1600 sq ft shed and I'd like to convert it to a stable. My main concern is that it has a metal skin. Does anyone have any experieance with this type of conversion?
    Roger Meadows
    TiAnViCa Ranch
    Mulberry, Florida

Re: Machine Shed to Stable

If the roof is not insulated you may have problems with condensation formation causing it to sometimes "rain" inside your barn. This can be corrected later with a spray on type insulation, but it's cheaper to do it during construction.

It should have at least 10' clearance inside. Concrete floors should be removed where the stalls are constructed. Stalls should be lined with wood (or maybe concrete block in FL). The horses should not be allowed access to the metal siding from either inside or outside the building (they can kick through it and hurt themselves real bad). Barred windows in the stall are always nice.

All good advice from benson though in Florida you won't have to worry too much about condensation. I also wouldn't rip up the floors if they're concrete now but you would have to put down rubber mats on top of the concrete for traction and cushion. IF that's the case go with the 3/4inch interlock mats. They cost a little more than the non interlocks but they won't shift on you. Not much worse than having to redo a stall with mats where the shavings have worked them selves under the mats and then the edges rise up and you have to redo the whole stall. At 100lbs each the mats aren't a lot of fun to work with.

I'll ditto what Gerald said. No worries on condensation and the concrete isn't bad as long as you use stall mats and lots of sawdust. I would worry more if they are going to be on it 24/7 though.

I wonder if putting down a few inches of stone dust on top of the concrete and under the mats would be a solution.

It might just make a big mess though without any ground moisture or sufficient depth to allow the stone dust to tamp down well.