Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which "Sawzall"??

Which \"Sawzall\"??

Contemplating getting one, the local box store has Milwaukee, DeWalt, Porter Cable (I think)

All names reported to me by my father in law.

Not to start a brand war, but any opinions on which brand or model would be "the choice' one to have?

Richard

(Leaning towards Milwaukee)

Re: Which \"Sawzall\"??

I have a Milwaukee Super that I bought a few years back. It's a great tool and with the correct blade can cut virtually anything. It's variable speed which is nice.

The Super, don't know about the others, has a power cord that plugs into the handle and locks in place. Theory being that cords are somewhat consumable on the jobsite. this one can be replaced in about 40 seconds. No disassembly required.

I believe the newer models don't require an Allen wrench to change blades. That would be a nice feature.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

I have the Milwaukee. Var. speed quick release blade came with the case too for 119.00. Ive used it countless times and it works great.

2 votes for my initial thoughts [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Logic I used was my understanding that Milwaukee "created" the recipricating saw, or if not created it, was the first standard bearer. (Not sure if I'm right, just what I understand).

Thanks for thoughts.

Richard

Richard, my brother has the Milwaukee Sawzall, he's had it a long, long time and never a problem with it, so I'd be surprised if there's anything better. However, . . . I needed to buy one recently and Lowe's had the Makita Model JR3000VT (variable speed) at a better price than I could find that kind of saw anywhere else, so I bought it. Only had it 3 months, so I don't know now it'll hold up in the long run, but I've got a variety of blades, used it for treated 2 x lumber building steps, cut some metal bars, and pruned trees with it so far and I actually like it better than my brother's Milwaukee. I also like it's feature of being able to change blades quickly with no tools, and of course, it came in a nice carrying case.

It cost me $95.68 including the sales tax. (7.5%)

Go with the Milwaukee. They should all have the quick-chuck for blade changes. I have a Milwaukee Sawzall, circular saw, 18V drill, 2 angle grinders, hammer drill and chop saw (No, I'm not biased). They've all worked great.

I've had a few of the other brands, on the Dewalt cordless drills the chucks always fell apart and a Porter Cable palm sander went belly up. I've had good luck with a Bosch jig saw and a Porter Cable biscuit joiner though.

Welp, I got the Milwaukee [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Don't recall the model number, but it has the quick attach blade, the stroke is the 1 1/8" stoke, verses the 3/4" stoke.

Truth be told, not even sure what I paid for it lmaooooooooooooooooo I think it was $140 or more likely $160.

Came with a carrying case, 2 blades (wish I'd noticed that before buying the OTHER blades, but I'm sure I'll dull them all up in no time)

The dude fidgeted all around about the "gift coupon" that came with it, only to finally figure out the gift coupon came with the cheaper model... makes sense to me [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Thanks for your thoughts

Richard

I have a Makita as well. It's very light weight, but sometimes maybe weight helps cut. I've had some probs with it, but nothing I can't work around. I would not have bought it for myself, but Santa brought it 10 years ago [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] and I've sure put it through it's paces.
    I have used P-C and Milwaukee, they are both good. In my opinion, look for the longest stroke.

First task I used my Milwaukee for was cutting up a picnic table my neighbor needed to dispose of. Cut through the wood, nails, and 3/8" bolts like they weren't even there.

Second job was cutting up an old gas stove/oven that my nephew need to make small enough to put out in the trash a little at a time. That was a noisy job, but no problems.

A recip saw is a fine tool of destruction! You'll love it!
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

>>but I'm sure I'll dull them all up in no time)

In to time at all...better pick up a bunch more before you need them...they do tend to wear out fast, and break at the most inopportune times.

I vote for the Milwaukee too, but I see you already bought yours. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]