Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which "Sawzall"??

Re: Which \"Sawzall\"??

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Cut through the wood, nails, and 3/8" bolts like they weren't even there

[/ QUOTE ]

There was an old 4' x 6' porch and steps here, made with 2 x 4s and 2 x 6s and put together with screws. So I used that Makita to cut it up and put it out for the garbage truck, but I was careful (and lucky [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ); didn't hit any of the screws, so didn't even dull the blade. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Mine has the quick change blade too...its a great saw. Cuts thru anything!

Get plenty of extra blades. I have found that Milwaukee blades tend to lose thier edge, but can also be bent to fit in difficult places. Vermont blades are real sharp, but brittle and do not lend to any bending, on purpose or accidental. I tend to use a combination of both brands, in my corded Milwaukee, and my 18v DeWalt.

My Makita has managed to cut through live electrical lines several times.

Egon

I understand that, Egon. I had a cut a hole in a sheetrock wall Saturday to fix a plumbing leak; didn't think there would be any electrical wires in there, but not being sure, I was afraid to use the power saw; just did it the hard way. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

My uncle has a milwaukee, I've got the larger Dewalt (8 or 10 amp I don't remember and it's in the truck [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ) A friend has a PC. They're all good.

Quick change blade holders are great. My dewalt has a nice feature in a "speed limiter". It's a dial in the handle that allows you to dial down the top speed for better control when needed. Handy in tight spots where the saw could buck.
    I like Milwaukee or Lennox blades. HTH...

Since Milwaukee designed and originally made them, I'd go with Milwaukee.
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

The milwaukee sawzall! the name says it all. I didn't spit for the super but should have,their cord is replacable and mine is frayed. I think the super has a longer blade stroke too ,mine is 3/4" stroke. I like the keyless chuck on mine. I used a dewalt and it was no comparison to the original sawzall!

Re: Which \"Sawzall\"?? (revisited)

Well, as luck [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] would have it, my wifes cousin has a bunch of apartments to refurbish and long story short, I "sold" him my saw. (he reimbursed my purchase after my singular use)

I've not needed one since, but am eyeballing some things to do...

(ok...I admit... I just WANT a mega-destructive tool [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] )

Today I was tooling about at the local Lowes and saw a Porter Cable brand that had a swiveling head.

I found that most interesting. Not only do I see that as a potential configuration that will get that odd place you can't quite reach... I also see it as another joint (2 actually) where something can break and junk the saw.

Anyone have the PC (or other brand) with a pivot and more interestingly, swivel head for the blade?

I think they are a very similar price point to the middle or upper Milwaukee.

Second admission... I like GOOD tools, and I like things that can be used creatively to bail my hiney out when needed...I see the swivel head as an interesting thing to have if/when it's needed.

Do any other brands make a swivel head?

Is it a gimmick or is it as useful as it is interesting looking?

Richard

Re: Which \"Sawzall\"?? (revisited)

Richard,
    PC is a brand I don't think I would ever regret buying. The swivel head recip saw has been on my mind a lot lately too [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]