Thread: Bred Heifers

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Bred Heifers

I am considering raising some Holstein bred heifers. Has anyone ever raised any? Does anyone have any tips. How many acres of pasture should you have for each?

Thanks!!!
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Re: Bred Heifers

Why holsteins? Are you planning on milking them? Are you raising them for beef? resale?

We're going to raise them for resale. My area has a huge number of dairy farms, and a lot of people raise bred heifers to sell to them. I'm trying to strike up a deal with a friend of mine who is a dairy farmer to raise them for him for a fee. It was his idea, we're just trying to figure out what a fair payment would be, so it's likely we'll be doing it. He's going to guide me in the process, but I'd like to know any other points of view on raising them.
    Rich

Ok so you are going to raise and sell bred heifers. You are going to buy bred heifers and raise the babies then? If you are going to raise them from bottle calves be prepared to lose up to 50% or more of them. Holstein calves are very hard to keep alive off of their mothers. They aren't very hardy like a beef calf is. Even when they're older they will die pretty easy. Also make sure you have a market. If you wait until they are ready and try to sell you can take big losses on them as they will bring the least prices at the sale barn.

If you are going to just raise them and don't have to buy them or worry about the cost if they die it can be a little profitable. If you already have a farmer that is going to have you raise them then he will be your best source of information.

Thanks, Richard. I've already got the market, a friend of mine who is a dairy farmer,can't keep his market for raised heifers supplied, so he'll let me sell them to his customers.

I didn't know about the mortality rate. I'll have to do some more research on that. If it's that high, it certainly will cut into profits.

Thanks!!
    Rich

There is a lot of info out on the web.. search on calf care. Here's a newletter that deals w/ calf raising.

http://www.calfnotes.com/CNcalvingease.htm

I just started raising Holstein bull calves.. finished a "Super Hutch" this weekend. My neighbor is a dairy farmer.. and usually sells off the bull calves to be raised for veal. I'm just getting my feet wet.. though I've had some experience on my dad's farm raising beef cattle. I'm just looking to raise some lean beef.. and maybe find a nich market as the urban sprawl is closing in.