Thread: 57 Dodge fired up today!

57 Dodge fired up today!

The winter storm that dropped two feet of snow on us over the past three days got my attention, so this morning I went out and finished that antique carburetor, put some gas in the tank, and after several false starts that old 315 Poly V8 roared into life and kept on running! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

I kept the old boy running for half an hour while I searched frantically for leaks and other forms of disaster. The water pump worked, the oil pressure was fine, the thermostat opened up on time. With so little spare time in my life I was getting really discouraged with the old truck, but with warmer weather ahead next week I should be able to adjust the timing, get the throttle and choke linkages right, and maybe even drive the old beast home if the state troopers aren't looking!

Sure would be nice to have it in the garage over the winter so I can tinker in the frozen comfort of my own home! I'm thinking of getting one of those convection quartz heaters you hang from the ceiling so my hands don't freeze to the cold metal this winter. Any of you guys ever try one of those things?

Pete

Re: 57 Dodge fired up today!

Pete, congratulations!! Feels good when a project starts comming togather. I rebuilt the engine in my new truck, 1973 ford 390, took two weeks to wipe the smile off my face.

I have the COSTCO radiant heater, but don't recommend it. I use two 500 watt halogen lights on a stand and position them to light my back side, works pretty good plus you get light.

Pete:

Sounds good.

Only thing for warm hands is a heated garage or warm weather. Otherwise just grit the teeth and after a little while you will not feel your hands. But darn; it's hurts as circulation is restored by the fireside.

Egon

Warm hands are nice, but cold feet drive me back to the house every time. Next floor gets some kind of heat, even if it is only passive. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    A man's likely to mind his own business, if it is worth mindin' - Eric Hoffer

Fixed my cold feet when working at my workbench with a rubber floormat that plugs in and gets warm. Think office stores or tool shops might have them.

More pictures?

Hi,

It will be hard for you to survive in these difficult conditions.

Rambo
    sed Cars

Love them old trucks Radiant heat is great if you make your own electricity. The space heaters that run on diesel ,kerosene or AV fuel worked for me in a 40x60 shop but yes it was well insulated
    Larry and Susan