Thread: Hornet's Nest

Hornet\'s Nest

I've found an awesome specimen of a hornet's nest that I've desired as a home decor for so long. After hanging it in the garage for a couple days to convince the wife it's devoid of habitants, I've talked her into letting me mount it on "my" wall in the family room with the rest of my treasures. Should I worry about preserving it with spray-on sealer of some sort?

Re: Hornet\'s Nest

I'd suggest some time in a clear plastic garbage bag in the warm house - clear so you can see any stragglers that come out in the warm conditions.

I'd second the suggestion to place it in a SEALED plastic bag to be sure that ALL the prior owners have departed. I've heard the stories about bringing the nests inside and when it warms up the inhabitants emerge.

Not a pleasent thought!
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

You can find anything on the net:

Preserving and Displaying a beautiful Hornet Nest D

It says their made from wood fiber and saliva, I found it right over a big rotten white oak log. Amazing piece of work and the largest I've ever seen, about the size of a pony keg. I think I'll leave it in the garage until a good freeze. I was one nervous cat up a tree cutting it down, especially since we haven't had any freezing temperatures yet.