Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Son's new home

Re: Son\'s new home

I hope you are able to sail right through the approval process. It took me 2 months to get a building permit for my shop here in this county. It was not the huricanne design requirements so much as it was in dealing with the permit office it self. I just kept telling myself "Its all about Taxes ..."
    Good Luck! Oh ... BTW .. It ended up with 14 Ga. metal studs and 21,000 metal screws! Not much wood in the structure other than the roof!
    Leo

Are you referring to a sand mound system? With the perc's done and the site defined, won't the local building dept. let you break ground? Or is it one of those places where all of the boxes have to be checked first? BTW, really nice looking site.

gorgeous property - kind of what I have pictured for my next piece!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I'd LOVE a little running creek on my land 'cause then I'd dig a BIG hole, divert the creek in one end, let it run out the other, and have a nice big clear pond with no filtration problems!!

<font color="green">Are you referring to a sand mound system? With the perc's done and the site defined, won't the local building dept. let you break ground? Or is it one of those places where all of the boxes have to be checked first? BTW, really nice looking site. </font color>

If you have enough of a slope then a sand filter system can be used. A four foot deep hole has the outlet from the septic tank at the top then a layers of stone and sand . At the bottom of the hole is more stone and the pipes to drain the fluid to the leach field. First time we have ever used this type system. Most times on flat land a sand mound is the only alternative way to go in our area. We have plenty of slope to accommodate the system

No septic permit no building permit, so yes all the boxes have to be checked before we can even submit the building permit. The septic permit has to be approved by a State office so turn around time could be two weeks. Not what I need at this time.

<font color="green"> I'd LOVE a little running creek on my land 'cause then I'd dig a BIG hole, divert the creek in one end, let it run out the other, and have a nice big clear pond with no filtration problems!! </font color>

My wife has the same idea. The land on the other side of the creek is where our home is located. There is a great spot to dig the pond and fill from the creek. The only problem is that the subsoil may not hold the water so we would have to line the pond bottom. Right now it is just a future project.

heck, that's an easy fix, do a google on permalon, it's a pond liner, pretty cheap (maybe .45 sq ft) and has good stretch capacity. They use it for landfill liner. It's a little stiff for small applications but fine for bigger ones. build your dam on the low side, line it, cover the liner with some dirt/rock and voila, instant pond. (You could get really fancy and build a gateway at the diversion so if you want the water to warm up a little you close the gate and let it take it's natural course. Want to flush things out, then divert into pond. Fun little engineering project!

The septic permit papers are all filed.

Spent time yesterday just wandering in Home Depot looking at lighting fixtures, windows and etc. Just letting my son and daughter in law explore the possibilities. Time was well spent but they both are a little over whelmed with all the decisions that they need to make.

Then found a lighting fixture style they both like so that is a big plus. After they priced the counter top alternatives for the kitchen, they decided that Mom and Dad could do the counter tops in tile. Just what my wife and I needed, more on our plate.

They also picked out some tile that was not a good choice for the bathroom or the kitchen floors. Very smooth and glossy or should I say slippery when wet. We will have to find a similar tile with a little tooth to the surface. There is a large tile only showroom that we will be visiting next week and the tile selection should be done there. If they don’t have it available to order then no one does.

Still discussing casement or double hung windows and need that decision very soon. I know where I will be steering the conversation over the turkey on Thursday.

Actually there are only a few loose ends that should and need to be resolved this week then the plans can be finalized and printed. These have to be ready when the septic permit arrives so the building permit can be filed the same day.

It is so much easier to do your own home then try to guide someone else through the process. Both our son and daughter in law are very realistic and want the most for their money. No crazy wishes or wants just a good solid home is their goal.

Tim

<font color="green"> heck, that's an easy fix, do a google on permalon, it's a pond liner, pretty cheap (maybe .45 sq ft) and has good stretch capacity. They use it for landfill liner. It's a little stiff for small applications but fine for bigger ones. build your dam on the low side, line it, cover the liner with some dirt/rock and voila, instant pond. (You could get really fancy and build a gateway at the diversion so if you want the water to warm up a little you close the gate and let it take it's natural course. Want to flush things out, then divert into pond. Fun little engineering project! </font color>

I will file that one and if I have recovered from this project by fall, I will have a go at the pond.

Thanks,

Tim

That's a real nice waterfall, it it included in the property? Is that pipe doin' somethin' useful, like deliverin' water someplace, or makin' electrictity?
    A man's likely to mind his own business, if it is worth mindin' - Eric Hoffer

<font color="green"> That's a real nice waterfall, it it included in the property? Is that pipe doin' somethin' useful, like deliverin' water someplace, or makin' electrictity?
    </font color>

That “pipe” is just a log that will have to be pulled out when the water slows down this winter.

That waterfall is on the stream that will divide my son’s property from ours. His house will be about a eight hundred feet from the falls while our bedroom window over looks the falls about a hundred feet away. When we bought the property my wife told me where the bedroom window was going to be then I designed the house from there. She has always dreamed of living in a house next to a waterfall. Now she has seven waterfalls along the stream as it drops into the deep ravine on its way to the lake.