Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Son's new home

Re: Son\'s new home

Still waiting for the septic permit to arrive but that may be meaningless.

The temperature this morning was eight degrees and there is a four inch snow covering on the ground. The snow will help keep the ground from freezing but unless the temperature goes back into the forties we will not be doing an foundation work.

We are still waiting for the septic permit. It will be three weeks on Monday since it was filed. The weather is turning colder. Even if the permit turns up in the next couple of days, we won't be able to start until after Christmas. Not good, March is looking more realistic every day.

Tim

OK, the permit for the septic has arrived but it has to go back to the engineer. Seems that he left some information out. How long it will take for the corrections and return is anyone's guess. Looks more and more like we will be waiting until the Spring to start building. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Hope all goes well for you. Sounds like a lot of hard work will be invalved for all, but when it's done, it will be THEIRS!!.

As you know, anything can go bad, but with you there everyday, it should be fine.
    Paul Bradway

Hey one more thing. If they complane about the work, or all the things they have to chose, have them read my "house" thred. That should set them streight. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Paul Bradway

<font color="green">Hey one more thing. If they complane about the work, or all the things they have to chose, have them read my "house" thred. That should set them streight. </font color>

Paul, this is their first house new or old and they are newly married. Right now I would not let them read your thread as they are overwhelmed with the whole process. Just to add to the problem my new daughter in law just totaled her car. They are going to have to get along with one car until after the mortgage is approved. Just a little extra for them to deal with.

Tim

Boy thats tough. The car wrecks always come at the WORSE times don;t they.I think we can all remember when we were just starting out on our own. The world turned into a BIG place pretty fast didn't it.

Well, I hope all works out well. Looks like they have a good head start with you helping them out.
    Paul Bradway

We have the septic permit signed and approved. The only problem is the weather has really turned cold, minus 11 the night before last. The house plans are back for final corrections and the building permit is not far down the road.

Still looks like a Spring start unless the weather turns nice and warm.

Snows almost off the site and we are looking to start the 8th of March.

Materials for finishing the house are starting to arrive my barn and basement look like a building supplier's warehouse.

The dozer and shovel arrived yesterday afternoon and the digging started this morning. The hole is dug and the driveway is graded, boxed and half the preliminary stone is down. All in all it was a good first day.

Sat down with the contractor this morning and made some changes in the the plans. It never fails. He had some good ideas with the basement stairs so we are adding a landing and then two steps at the bottom to give us more room. Also will add more insulation in the floor of the bedroom over the garage, some one inch foam pannels to protect the heating ducts and water pipes. Probably over kill but the cost is just cheap insurance.

Back to the hole in the ground. Footers go in tomorrow as soon as the rest of the stone is down and compacted in the driveway. Basement walls are to start on Thursday.

Here is a picture of that hole, well the start of it.