Thread: ACQ Pressure treated lumber

ACQ Pressure treated lumber

Anyone use it yet?

Or heard how it performs compared to CCA, especially for ground contact? It seems the retention ratings are the same for CCA and similar use (.4 pcf for ground contact).

Is it safe for animal fences? I would assume if it's safer for humans it's safer for animals, unless it tastes better than CCA.

Re: ACQ Pressure treated lumber

As of Jan 1, 2004 the EPA is banning CCA-treated lumber for residential uses. I'm sure you already know this. Some specifics I recently read. To answer your questions, the "new" stuff has been used around the world for approximately 15 years. These low-toxicity pesticides resist bugs, mold and rot as effectively as CCA. The down sides are:

1) the new wood can cost from 15-35% more due to the high level of copper. In order to keep costs down manufacturers will produce different levels of protection for different uses, although not sure exactly what they will be at this time.

2) Due to the super high levels of copper in the new wood pressure treated wood will be significantly more corrosive. Due to the high risk of galvanic reaction between the copper-impregnated wood and any dissimilar metals, fasteners and flashings should be stainless steel and copper whenever possible and at the very least you should use better grades of galvanized fasteners. G-185 coatings for hot dipped galvanized products are recommended. Check out this site www.osmose.com to read more about fastener recommendations.

I'm not sure but I'd also assume that if it is safer for humans it should be safer for animals. That one I do not know the answer to. Hope this helps a little - Good luck
    TD

The high copper levels could be hazardous to some livestock, (sheep and goats that I'm aware of).

Steve

I've used it for a couple of projects. It is more expensive, but not all that much as I recall (I wasn't able to do a direct price comparison though). Any PT product is expensive so I didn't really notice that it was worse than usual. It is fine to work with, but I've only had it in place for a short while so I don't have any idea how it will compare with the CCA.

I will be able to tell, though, many (hopefully) years from now. I used it as part of a small retaining wall that I'd started with CCA, then finished with ACQ (the place I went to for the second load only had ACQ and I was in a borrowed truck so I basically had to buy it). The thing I don't like is that my wall is two different colors - the wood is a totally different color.