Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Venison in the freezer and I never went hunting

Venison in the freezer and I never went hunting

When we bought our property, our neighbors all hunted it. The land is heavy woods and deep ravines that are home for too many deer. As of yesterday eighteen deer have been taken from these woods and ravines.

I do not deer hunt but understand the need to control the herd and limit the numbers. Venison is also very popular in our home. Our nearest neighbor just called to let me know that they are dropping off a whole deer all frozen and ready for the freezer. We have already received three other deliveries from other successful hunter-neighbors.

We seem to have the best situation here, great neighbors, private land, rustic beauty and plenty of venison in the freezer. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Venison in the freezer and I never went hunting

Sounds like you have been fortunate. But you don't know what you are missing by not hunting. You don't have to kill anythng to enjoy the outdoors, and hunting will teach you things you didn't know. Living is learning, don't stop.
    A man's likely to mind his own business, if it is worth mindin' - Eric Hoffer

Re: Venison in the freezer and I never went huntin

Tenebrous:

If you do not have a hunting licence and have wild game in your possession it may not comply with the local regulations no mater how inocent it is.

Wildlife officials up here would take a dim view of freezer contents and proceed with heavy hand.

Egon

Re: Venison in the freezer and I never went hunting

<font color="green"> Sounds like you have been fortunate. But you don't know what you are missing by not hunting. You don't have to kill anythng to enjoy the outdoors, and hunting will teach you things you didn't know. Living is learning, don't stop. </font color>

I hunted a lot in the past and enjoy the woods and nature. It just has not been the fun it once was. Lost my best friend and life long hunting companion few years ago to lung cancer and it just is not the same without him. The dogs and I take long walks in the woods out of hunting season but this time of year is just not the same. My neighbors invite me to go along so may be next year.

<font color="green">
    If you do not have a hunting licence and have wild game in your possession it may not comply with the local regulations no mater how inocent it is.

Wildlife officials up here would take a dim view of freezer contents and proceed with heavy hand.

Egon

</font color>

If they show up will a search warrant for my freezer, I can show the source. The deer was professionally butchered and wrapped with all the necessary tags. Besides right now the State is happy that the over populated deer are being harvested.

My son the lawyer says not to worry, we still live in the good old USA. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Egon,

I know if i cant say somthing nice i shouldnt say nothing at all.....but, You mean to tell me if my neighbor gives me hunted game and i dont have a licence to hunt i could be arrested as if i hunted it? I could see it if i were leaving the scene of a hunting trip or such, but it seems kinda out of the question in this situation with Tenebrous. My dad has given me lots of game he hunts. I dont hunt and never have and dont plan on ever doing it. Am i gonna get busted with a pheasant leg in my mouth [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

Just stating what the regulations are in some places and people have been fined for just the same case.

Note; I did mention something about local regulations. I have no idea what type of regulations you have.

Egon

<font color="green"> I dont hunt and never have and dont plan on ever doing it. Am i gonna get busted with a pheasant leg in my mouth </font color>

Iblair, as long as you can show the source of the game meat in our New York State there will not be a problem. That is one reason I like the idea of the commercial butcher doing the deer. They have to see the deer tagged.

There is a lot of venison passed around in our area and I bet in your town too. If the count is correct, there have been 19 deer taken this season so far from the 400 acres of woods and ravines around our home. At least that we know about. That is about right with years past and it does not seem to effect the population. Last winter after hunting season there was a herd of twenty to thirty deer in a large hay lot every evening. The woods gives them cover and protection and the large surrounding farms are easy sources of food.

This is rugged land that is difficult to hunt but it holds a large number of deer and other wildlife. During hunting season more deer seem to gravitate to the deep ravines to hide. It takes some effort but everyone that has hunted the area this year has been successful.

As far as the conservation officers are concerned they have better things to do than snatch that pheasant leg from your mouth.

Tim

<font color="blue"> As far as the conservation officers are concerned they have better things to do than snatch that pheasant leg from your mouth.

</font color>

Thats good cause i bite

In Quebec, after tagging the animal, you must register it. They take your personal info, the time and location of the kill, etc. They then give you a document that you must keep as long as you have game in your possesion.

Whenever I give a significant amount of meat away, I also provide a photocopy of this document.