Thread: Anti lock brakes

Anti lock brakes

Can I remove the fuses for my anti lock brakes on my 2000 GMC sierra without any ill effects? Thanks

Re: Anti lock brakes

Celtic, I don't know for sure whether you can remove the fuses for the anti-lock brakes or not; suspect the brakes would just work as regular brakes then, but I'm curious as to why you want to do that.

If you run offroad a lot, it is nice to be able to do a controlled slide while braking. I have only done this while rock crawling. I really did not want my brakes modulating at the time. 'course, it was a 70 CJ% without anti-lock. But, the application does exist.

OK, I understand, Robert. Thanks.

At low speeds the brakes seem to by-pass and the vechicle doesn't care to stop, I was curious as pulling the fuses would work until I was able to have it looked at. Its unpleasant to be unsure if you can stop or not. I've had oddles of trouble with these brakes, and this truck in general and still only had 100k kms (60k miles) on it. My 94 Cummins is much more reliable. Thanks for your input guys.

Celtic:

Check your truck manual. I think you could pull the fuses or take apart the wire block right at the brake. They should then operate as without antilock. It has to be a failsafe type system.

Egon

Oh, when I said controlled slide, I did not mean going 90 miles an hour sliding sideways. What I was doing was sub 5mph, more typically inching along down a rock face. You know, one of those times where even 4.88 gears were too high of gearing [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I am not a lawyer, but I would be reluctant to drive around with them disabled. I suspect that if you were involved in an accident and the other side found out, then you are likely to be assessed some responsibility even if the main cause was the other driver.