Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prime Rib for the holiday??

Prime Rib for the holiday??

I am thinking about cooking a prime rib for a family get together later this month. I would love to hear recipes and rubs some of you use.

Steve

Re: Prime Rib for the holiday??

Lordie I love prime rib! I wish I could convince the wife to do one for Christmas! Her mom used to work at a restaurant, and knows how to do the salt coated-roasting stuff. Of course, the most important thing is the horseradish sauce. I hope someone posts a recipe for the meat and the sauce since all I can contribute is enthusiasm for the subject! [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Chuck

I'm with you, Chuck; love prime rib with a good horseradish sauce, but we've never tried cooking one at home.

Administrator

To me a good thick slice of medium-rare roast beef is one of the great pleasures in eating. My method is very simple.

First, I make slices/cuts into the exterior of the roast, about 2 inches apart, and about 1 inch deep.

Into those "cuts" I insert peeled, whole garlic cloves.

Next, I mix up about a coffee cup filled with a mix of equal parts of salt and cracked pepper. I "coat" this (by hand) onto the the exterior of the roast.

I put all this into the oven with about a hlaf inch of water in the pan, and cook for whatever the poundage requires. I baste any gravy and water three or four times during the baking time.

That is how I like my roast beef. I also use some fresh horseradish on the side, the hotter the better.

I get my rib roast at either Costco or Sam's Club. Check the meat bins or ask the butcher. They almost always have a good supply of large rib roasts. You might want to buy it and let it sit in the fridge for 3 or 4 days, to "age" a bit, before you cook it. That will make it even more tender, not that it should need it.

Look out for the price, though. I notice that filet minon is up to $14.95 a pound at Costco! Mainly due to the run on beef caused by so many people on Atkins, believe it or not.
    Hakim Chishti
    Staff/Moderator

Sounds good, Hakim. We'll have to try it. Our Sam's Club sometimes also has prime rib already cooked and sliced, but we haven't bought any in awhile. Prices are definitely pretty steep. The only thing I'd disagree with you on is the horse radish. I've been in restaurants that served just the horse radish on the side; a little too hot for my taste. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I like the sauce a lot better.

Kraft has a horseradish sauce in squeeze bottles that ain't too bad, but just isn't quite right either; too thick, but it's better than no horseradish sauce. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] And it's pretty good to use as one ingredient when I make my own cocktail sauce for shrimp. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Hakim, my mouth is watering already. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] We always host our family's Christmas dinner and you just provided the recipe! And I'll agree with you on the horseradish on the side. While I like the horseradish sauce Bird mentioned (I also agree it's a little too much like mayo), the real thing is best. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

We've got some fancy cookbooks that give horseradish sauce recipes, so I guess I should try one of them. Hakim's recipe for the roast sounds good. I like my prime rib medium rare. When I dip the meat in the sauce, I want the sauce to turn pink.

It's only 7:46PM here. That's not too late to go out to a restaurant is it? There's a place called C.C.'s City Broiler down town, but I think they only do prime rib on Fridays. Aaaarrrgggghhh!

Chuck

I just mix horseradish and sour cream until it tastes right to me.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Steve, do a Google search on "prime rib recipes". I got 1,350 hits. Lawry's is one of them. Hmmm, prime rib, slobber, slobber, slobber. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I use a very simple recipe that was given to me by a chef at what was once a very popular steak house up here:

Rub with black pepper and coat with hot mustard. Let it sit in the open for about an hour - the mustard should start to dry a little.

Sorry, but I don't have the cooking temp/time handy right now - but I know that I wouldn't attempt this without a good meat thermometer.