Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Prime Rib for the holiday??

Re: Prime Rib for the holiday??

WOW are beef prices through the roof here this week ! Krogers has primes on sale at $9.99#, Local specialty markets are at $15.99 for bone in angus and $16.99 for boneless. The best deal in town Is $7.99 for no roll. Dave

Well, thanks to this thread, I suggested to my wife that we serve prime rib for Christmas dinner. She went shopping this week and told the very nice butcher at our local grocery store that we'd be serving 12 people and then asked how much prime rib we'd need.

When I got home from work, I opened the refrigerator to get something to drink and saw two packages. Unfortunately, the price sticker was facing me. $9.99 per pound and there was a little over 8 pounds staring at me! I will be using a combination of the great recipes mentioned in this thread.

Dinner is at 4:00 PM tomorrow, so I figure I will be starting the process around 10:00. A half hour to prepare the prime ribs, an hour for them to sit, at least four hours to cook, and another 30 minutes to sit. Sound about right?

Just make sure you have a handy dandy pocket thermometer. I almost passed out in my cart yesterday when I saw whole bone in ribs ( no rolls !!! ) for $150 at krogers. GEEEEZ, my advice at that price is CARRY OUT, lol, its less expensive and less work. Merry Christmas ! BEEF, Its whats for Christmas dinner in our house [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] PS, you will need to adjust those times down if you have two small ( less than 12#) pieces. Prime is one piece of meat that is siginificantly better off cooked whole. You have to watch your set times because it is going to cook too fast to set very long. Think 30 minutes at 450 to carmelize, 1-2 hours at the lower hold temp, 20 minutes to set. Dave

I lucked out and got a 7lb roast for $5.99/lb. The ones on display were all smaller, but the butcher didn't mind cutting a bigger one for me. Why 7lb? Because that's what the recipe called for! It's supposed to serve eight, and there are only gonna be five adults and two kids of two and three years. I think I may have prime rib sandwiches Friday and Saturday.

Chuck

<font color="blue"> Think 30 minutes at 450 to carmelize, 1-2 hours at the lower hold temp, 20 minutes to set. </font color>
    Hi, Dave. I don't know why they gave my wife 2 pieces. Each one is a little over 4 pounds. Probably to prevent sticker shock! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] My wife didn't even notice the price for the prime rib.

So, in total, from start to ready to eat is no more than 3 hours?

This is my plan...Sound OK?

1. Prepare each roast with the garlic cloves in slits (per Hakim's message).
    2. Cover with hot mustard.
    3. Let sit (in frig?) until mustard skins over.
    4. Place in roasting pan with half inch of water.
    5. 30 minutes at 450
    6. 1 - 2 hours at 220 - 250
    7. Baste several times.
    8. Remove once internal temp hits 110.
    9. Let sit 20 minutes.
    10. Serve

I made myself a note to stop at the grocery store to pick up several items my wife forgot to which I've added a meat thermometer.

Mike, The times and temps look right. The blessing on smaller pieces is that you can set up your oven with a single rack in the middle. Once you Carmelize the meat you can remove it and put the Thermometer in completely with only the dial sticking out, leave it in if you can get your oven temp down to 220. This is you holding cycle. Line up the thermometer so you can read it through the oven glass. Ideally the oven would be closed and NEVER opened in the process. Personally I would skip the water but as long as you keep it low ( NOT TOUCHING THE ROAST ) it will be fine. If you have a bone in roast no worries, if its boneless use a rack if you want to incorporate a wet cooking method. Basting is unecessary on a prime but if you like to torcher your self with the smell knock your sox off ! When you stud the roast try to only make pockets in your fat layer with out cutting the flesh. This might not be possible depending on how your roast is trimmed. Dave

Thanks for the info Dave. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Few more questions....

- Will having the mustard on the outside be a problem with carmelizing?

- The only meat thermometer I could find at the grocery store has 130 as it's lowest temperature. Problem?

That thermometer wont be much use. They should start at around 20 degrees to 220. If you have a GFS near you they will have them. Maybee Wally world. I have never ever done the mustard thing on Prime rib, lamb yes, Beef no. You will want to keep a close eye on it. Dave

I ended up not using the mustard coating. I used the garlic cloves, plus a mixture of pepper, salt and rosemary as a coating. I had the 2 roasts at 450 for 30 minutes, then inserted the thermometer. I must have inserted it incorrectly or in the wrong place, because it shot up to 130 almost right away.

I ignored the thermometer and let the roasts at 220 for another 3 hours. This was the first time I have ever cooked prime rib and with 9 relatives coming for dinner I was a bit nervous. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

But after 3 hours, I pulled the roasts out of the oven, let them sit for 20 minutes. I carved the bones out and began slicing. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Oh my, was it good. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Just slightly pink, and the coating and the garlic flavor was fantastic! The advantage of being the cook and carver, is that I got to eat all the pieces that didn't make it to the serving plate. A little over 8 pounds of prime rib was enough to feed 12 adults.

Thanks to MDSteve for starting this thread, to Hakim for the initial recipe and Dave for the last minute advice. After all the relatives left, my wife, who was very nervous both about me cooking the meat but also using a recipe that I got from 'my tractor buddies', came over and gave me a little kiss on the cheek and told me I did a great job on the prime rib. I don't get much better than that!

Congratulations, Mike, sounds like a great job. I don't know why is seems to surprise some women when the men do a good job of cooking. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] My wife and daughters decided instead of the traditional ham and turkey to have ham and barbecued brisket yesterday. One of my brothers did the ham and I did the brisket. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] We had 14 for dinner, and enough food for at least twice that many, but it sure was good. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I also made up 14 pounds of fudge a couple of days ago and took it to the nursing home staff where my Mother lives (of course we brought Mother to the house for the day yesterday). The fudge went over well with the staff and went fast. When my Mother told the activities director that I made the fudge, she said, "I didn't know that old codger could cook." [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]