Thread: Older Dodge charging system problems

Older Dodge charging system problems

I got my 74 Dodge Powerwagon plow truck running today, but it is not charging. If you asked me to pull the engine, and tranny and rebuild it, I would be fine, but electrical stuff is not my best skill. Any one have any ideas, or can walk me through checking it? I got almost two feet on the ground now, and it is still snowing. REALY need to get it fixed. Thanks for any help.
    Paul Bradway

Re: Older Dodge charging system problems

If you have a meter check at the alternator to see if it is working. If no meter perhaps two light wires and see if you get a spark.

Try and check/clean all the leads and plugins from the alternator to battery. Sometimes they may be corroded.

A rebuilt alternator should not break the bank.

I don't know anything about the electrical systems either.

Egon

Paul,

If you eliminate bad connections and a dead battery, you can probably pull the alternator and get it checked for free at a decent parts store.

Chuck

On older Chrysler stuff there were two very common causes of low/no charge.
    One is the regulator, which is external to the alternator - generally on the firewall or fender apron near the alternator. Any decent manual will tell you how to by-pass or full-field it to test it (I can't remember...).
    The other is the brushes in the alternator. They can be replaced easilly, and are dirt cheap. If I recollect they will show up as an open field winding when the alternator is tested.

Gregg
    Remember - If I sound like I know nothing about farming it's because I really don't!

Dodge charging systems are the simplest of them all. To check the alternator,bypass the voltage regulator
    (squareish thing on firewall with two wire plug) with it running jumper the two wires together and if the alternator is ok it'll charge full out. If it does get a new regulator $9 I just put one on mine. If it doesnt charge get a new alternator about $30.
    before changing anything check all the connections.