Thread: Refrigerator and Freezer in an unheated area

Refrigerator and Freezer in an unheated area

What is the minimum ambient temperature that most home refrigerators and freezers require to operate properly? I know the fridge won't work in freezing conditions, but how warm does it need to be for it to operate properly?

Re: Refrigerator and Freezer in an unheated area

I don't know about the recommended minimum temps, but I used to keep my freezer outdoors on my enclosed back porch for two years and never had a problem. I'm sure the temperature got down to around 8-10 degrees. In the summer, I bet it was 100 or better on that porch.
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

I think a freezer would work in any normal temp range. The fridge is more of a problem, since it can only cool, not warm, once the outside temp gets below the temp in the fridge you are on the way to freezing; especially in sustained below freezing temps the food will freeze.

I have a frig and a stand up freezer in my garage. I found out the first year I put them out there that I can't really use the freezer part of the frig in the early and late winter, because the frig doesn't have to run often enough to keep the frig part cold, so the freezer part doesn't freeze. In mid winter, I have to be careful that the whole frig doesn't turn into a deep freeze. I had some pop burst. When the temps stay in the 30's (F) or above during the day and above 20 at night, it seems to be OK. If the temps stay below freezing during the day and get into the teens or less at night, I bring the pop and other things that might burst in the house. I just keep meat and other stuff that needs to stay good and frozen in the stand up freezer all year and it works fine no matter what the temp.