Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice; first REAL truck

Re: Advice; first REAL truck

I have hauled 13,000+on my trailer behind a 3/4 ton dodge,TOO MUCH! About 7000 behind a 3/4 ton is about right. As far as the wood thing I have hauled a full cord 4x4x8 of dry redoak on the 3/4 ton in the pickup box,you have to stack it right,it has to be just above the cab and all the way back but i'tll haul it just fine. If trailering is the main function then go with the one ton,the dual wheels take the sway out of the trailer and the brakes and wheel bearings are a little heavier,engine and transmissions are the same.

Well my needs are becoming a bit more defined as I stumbled upon a used 10,000gvw equipment hauler/dumptrailer yesterday and brought it home. It's a nice design, 6.5x12' and with 4' removable sides , tailgate that swings both ways,and loading ramps stored underneath. It weighs 2900lbs so with my tractor that comes pretty close to the GVW. I realize that for the # of trips I am making with the cordwood I can deal with the pain in the rear of manuvering the trailer and get a truck without the capacity for the weight of the cord and without a dump. So now I am leaning toward finding the most heavy duty 3/4 tpn 4x4 (maybe a flat bed) I can afford that will tow the trailer well. Maybe a Ford 250 with a diesel and extra heavy setup for towing. I have heard a lot of complaing about both GMC and Dodge.
    But I have to say that I see more gmc work trucks in that size locally than any other brand. Must be a reason? Mark

Buying a truck... not an easy task.

Start with how much you have to spend... then go from there.

Based on what you said here I don't think you will be happy with what is considered a light duty truck, anything 1 ton and under. It will always not do something you need it to do or it will cost more than its worth to get it to do that without breaking.

For $7500 or less you can buy yourself an old miltary truck 2.5 to 5 ton diesel with all wheel or 6 wheel drive unit. It will NEVER let you down. It will pull anything and haul anything and goes down the road great. I had a 5ton 6-wheel drive unit I bought several years ago for $3500. Came with a winch on the front and 10 new tires. I have never been stuck and its only not started once... operator error.

A friend of mine was so impressed with this truck he finally bought it after borrowing so many times we started calling it his truck.

A relative of his bought a dump version of the same truck. Considering what I used this for I'd consider buying the dump version myself too. I borrow it from time to time.

I have a 77 Chevrolet 1-ton dually and there is no comparison. The 5ton did what you think you can do with a light truck and it will stay together.

Good luck.

Hi
    I was wondering where I could find one of those 5 ton trucks you speak of. I also have a 1 ton chevy dually ext cab. but would also like to have a dump truck and the 5 ton sounds about the right size, and the price is about right also.
    thanks charlie

Here is some info about:
    1. GSA auto auctions

gsa autoauctions provides info concerning GSA controlled auto auctions.

You can get on their mailing list announcing sites/dates/available inventory for these auctions. Generally speaking, these are normal vehicles (cars, light trucks, etc). However, some heavier duty trucks may appear from time to time. I have purchased old pick ups at these auctions reasonably. On the other hand, really good looking vehicles tend to go for high book prices, not necessarily cheap or a bargain.

2. DRMO auctions. Defense Reutilization and Marketing Offices handle all DOD equipment auctions. Main offices are located nationwide. Good website listing all of them is:

http://www.state.oh.us/odps/oles/GRAPHICS/map33.htm

For Lazy: I would be looking at Ft Leonard Wood for 2.5 T trucks, dump trucks, etc, as they train Army Engineers and have to get rid of their equipment on a scheduled basis. Can't tell you which DRMO office to contact, though, because they list only one at Whiteman AFB for Missouri. Assume they are the office for all of Mo, but don't know. There is also a DRMO at Scott AFB, IL also.

3. Last site: http://www.olive-drab.com is a site that lists dealers who purchase from the various govt surplus auctions and do resale of stuff.

Hope these links work out. Not sure if I figured out the URL business on this editing program TBN uses.

I bought my 5 ton from a private owner I found on the Internet. I looked at dealer sites and equipment auctions, but the prices were based on the what they thought somebody who bought would be able to make using it, or what they might make if they sold it, which was much more than it was worth.

I worked on these when I was in the military in the 70's. My preference is the 5 ton unit made in the mid to late 70's. The one I had was a '75 5ton, a GM made unit. The owner lived in Louisville so I took a commuter and checked it out. Cost me $600 to have it delivered to my driveway. The previous owner bought it from a military auction. Ran perfect. Started using it the first day it arrived. Its known as the Beast around where I live.

I'd search the 'Net for military vehicles for sale and of course ebay. Back then about the only thing ebay was good for was toys and car parts.

Keep in mind any 1 ton truck is not a dump truck, these things were meant to pull stuff, especially the dually's, not see how much stuff you pile in the bed before the tires went flat or locked inside the rear wheel wells. Loading them up like that is one good way to wreck a nice truck.

Later