I bought my 5 ton from a private owner I found on the Internet. I looked at dealer sites and equipment auctions, but the prices were based on the what they thought somebody who bought would be able to make using it, or what they might make if they sold it, which was much more than it was worth.

I worked on these when I was in the military in the 70's. My preference is the 5 ton unit made in the mid to late 70's. The one I had was a '75 5ton, a GM made unit. The owner lived in Louisville so I took a commuter and checked it out. Cost me $600 to have it delivered to my driveway. The previous owner bought it from a military auction. Ran perfect. Started using it the first day it arrived. Its known as the Beast around where I live.

I'd search the 'Net for military vehicles for sale and of course ebay. Back then about the only thing ebay was good for was toys and car parts.

Keep in mind any 1 ton truck is not a dump truck, these things were meant to pull stuff, especially the dually's, not see how much stuff you pile in the bed before the tires went flat or locked inside the rear wheel wells. Loading them up like that is one good way to wreck a nice truck.

Later