Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice; first REAL truck

Re: Advice; first REAL truck

<font color="blue"> (a cord being 8' x 8' x 4' neatly stacked, or 256 cubic feet). </font color>

TYPO/MATH POLICE 128 Cubic Feet

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    TYPO/MATH POLICE 128 Cubic Feet

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Al. Believe it or not, I can still multiply [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] , and I multiplied what I typed correctly; just typed the wrong numbers [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] . Should have been 4' x 4' x 8' and then, as you say it's 128 cubic feet. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] My double cord would really be heavy for a one ton truck, wouldn't it? [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

I've got a cherry '93 F350 DRW diesel. Last year of the non-turbo, simple maintenance and repair. First year of the 90's body style, looks good. With 5-speed transmission that model is alot of bang for your buck.

Bird, next time I'm shopping for a good deal on cord wood I'll look you up. In the bad old days I hauled
    many a cord of wood on my 66, F250. Needed side boards to get it all on. I think trucks had a lot more margin then. My new truck 73, F250 puckers up pretty good, but I still do it.

Al, we bought our first house with a fireplace in 1972 and I had a 1971 3/4 ton Chevy at the time. I was about a hundred miles east of Dallas one day and noticed a house out in the country with firewood for sale, stopped and bought half a cord of good red oak for $10 and they loaded it for me! That half a cord was just about right for a comfortable ride. And I later hauled all I could pile on (without sideboards) a 1977 Dodge 3/4 ton truck several times. But I would not have wanted to try a full cord on either one.

Hey Bird, From your days as the long arm of the law, I'm sure you remember that the fines can be pretty steep for hauling 2 times your rated load. And here in the northeast, they are very tough about that. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Is it safe to assume that you also know that the "one ton, 3/4 ton, or even half ton" ratings are a bit misleading; the actual payload capacity is usually at least 1.5 to 2 times that rating?

[/ QUOTE ]

The State of Wisconsin says that one cord of white oak weighs about 5850 pounds! The source was their Timber Sale Handbook located at Timber

one cord of white oak weighs about 5850 pounds

[/ QUOTE ]

That is considerably more than what I was told by someone in the business! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Of course, I never weighed any; just assumed he would have a pretty good idea, but the State has probably investigated that more thoroughly.

fines can be pretty steep for hauling 2 times your rated load

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but the manufacturers' rated loads (GVWR) are nearly all (if not all) higher than what we generally refer to as half ton, three-quarter ton, and one ton trucks.

here in the northeast, they are very tough about that

[/ QUOTE ]

I've no doubt there are exceptions somewhere, but during my tenure in law enforcement, the city police (in Dallas at least) had no scales and did no weight enforcement. And I've never personally known of anyone being cited for such violations except commercial vehicles, although I suspect it has happened.

Bird, I stumbled across this which shows the green and dry weightof a lot of different wood.
    <font color="blue">manufacturers' rated loads (GVWR) are nearly all (if not all) higher than what we generally refer to as half
    ton, three-quarter ton, and one ton trucks. </font color>

My 73, F250 was available from 6800 pounds to 9600 GVWR, all 3/4 ton trucks are not equal.

[img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Al, that shows dry red oak at 3528 pounds/cord, so I guess the guy who told me "about 3800" wasn't so far off after all. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]