Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blonde Squirrel

Re: Blonde Squirrel

About 25 years ago, my in-laws had a "pet" albino squirrel that would eat out of their hands, at their lake house in Tool, TX (Cedar Creek Lake). Only one I have ever seen or heard of until now.

A friend with whom I shared some blonde squirrel pix, apparently did a net search and found a couple examples, both inferior to mine. I quess it happens frequently enough to not be too rare like "Guinness Book" rare but still quite an oddity.

A fair number of squirrels used to be kept as pets, even walked on a leash but I would hate to be nipped by one of those buggers. They could do some real damage.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Olney IL is famous for it's white "tree rats"!
    http://www.sirin.lib.il.us/docs/opl/.../squirrels.htm
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Gary, Thanks for the link to the White Tree Rat stories. Apparently they were a variation in coloration but essentialy "Grey Squirrels."

The one we have here is an albino "Red Squirrel" (AKA Fox Squirrel.) I got a close look at it yesterday but sans camera. I nailed up a large can (Grapefruit juice can that I punched some small drain holles in the bottom) filed with suh flower seeds and whole kernel corn. There is a crotch in the tree just above my eye level. Blondie was on the other side of the tree from me looking at me over the crotch as I nailed the can to the tree close to their "sunporch". I placed a partial hand full of sunflower seeds on their porch and some whole kernel corn too. Later I looked down from a dormer window in the new house and saw Blondie sitting on their sunporch eating. Also saw an owl (probably barn owl) land in a small pecan tree about 75 feet from the pin oak where the squirrels live (one regular red squirrrel and Blondie.) A couple small birds (much smaller than mocking birds the usual suspects) were dive bombing the owl who was essentially ignoring them. Hope the owl doesn't eat our little oddity or friend.

I wonder if red headed woodpeckers will eat seeds? One was hanging out where I spilled the feed for the squirrels.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"