Thread: Round Barn builders?

Round Barn builders?

We are looking at putting up a small multi-purpose barn on the property and I would like it to be different than everything else I see scattered across Indiana. I certainly do not want a metal sided pole barn.

I have seriously been thinking of a Japanese style barn with a low pitched roof and wide overhanging eves. And then I thougth about a ROUND BARN instead. While Indiana is pretty much the round barn capital of the world, those things are rare and most of them are very large. I am looking for something that would be scaled down to a hobby farm size or estate size barn. Maybe about 1000 square feet of floor space.

The problem is I can't find anyone who actually builds or even designs them. I did a little search of them and it seems like the last round barn made was built in the 1930's.

Any thougths? Help?

Re: Round Barn builders?

Check out some local library collections...My quick search showed some promising leads about "bulletins" put out by the University of Illinois around the turn of the century "extolling the virtues of round barns" Sounds like they would have some construction ideas.

The Barn Journal has a list of barn contractors. See http://www.thebarnjournal.org/resource/contractors.html

I don't know if they will be close enough to you.

They also have an article on a round barn restoration. See http://www.thebarnjournal.org/featured/016/index.html and http://www.thebarnjournal.org/featured/012/index.html

Bob, welcome to CBN. You missed the best aspect of building a round barn (and well worth the time and money, IMHO)- and that would be to see your county tax assessor out there trying to figure out the square footage. I can picture it: "Let me think, pi R squared? Or is it 2 pi R? Or was it A squared, plus B, no- that's a triangle..."

Hey Bob, where in Indiana are you? Fulton County is loaded with round barns including one at their museum right on 31. I should think you could photograph, measure and scale down from that. Probably plenty of people there to talk with as well. I recall that barn was moved to it's present location.

There is also one up my way in Michigan that was moved. It is now the banquet hall at Heart of the Vineyard winery. . That is a particularly nice one to tour as the refreshments are top notch [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

I'm in N.W. Indiana, and we have a round barn in a town a few miles away from where I live. There is another barn that is part round near here.

I'm just looking for something to use as a storage barn, workshop, etc. Round isn't really ideal for what I want, but it would be a fun building to have and it would be nice to convert to a guest house too.

I am thinking that steel framing a round barn might actually be easier than wood frame?

Bob,
    I don't want to make this sound like a advertisement, but I would like to describe what there's out there for you...
    We host and are restoring a true 60-foot, 90 year old Round Barn on our farm in New Richmond, Wisconsin..
    And we've put together 2 books about "everything" you need to know about a Round Barn, but were afraid to ask!
    We've written 2 easy-reading, captivating books on our Round Barn. The first is an illustrated 72-page book, "HOW TO BUILD AND LOVE YOUR OWN ROUND BARN", including 40 + original, vintage construction photos, and 30+ original, vintage black/white floor plan drawings.
    Plus the second one, "THE ORIGINAL ROUND BARN PLANNING BOOK", illustrated 60-page book, again with many previously unseen photos from 1908. They both contain exact spec's on how to build your on Round Barn!! They as they were built between 1900-1912.
    Both books are available COMBINED on ONE -CD.- -$14.95
    We also have a 4 page hard copy of the building of a Round Barn from start to finish The "1910 PHOTO Construction Sequence of a Round Barn." for $10.00.
    If you LOVE Round Barns check these out. Our website is one of the only a few places where you can find our book. www.roundbarn.homestead.com. We are marketing the book to Barn Lovers through the Internet (e-bay), public libraries, and State Historical Societies. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

REALLY I how this helps you out.

Bob & Kathy

Thanks, I bookmarked your page and I may be buying your book. A couple of questions for you. As I want to build a "hobby barn" and I know the concept of round barns was developed for dairy use, I am wondering if there is any compelling reason that I should NOT build a round barn?

Also, do you have any idea how many round barns are left? I know Indiana had lots of them, in fact there are a couple of them near where I live. It is my understanding that the last one constructed was built sometime in the 1930's, do you have any idea if that is true?

My needs are pretty modest, if I build one, it will probably be about 1000 square feet on the main floor, which I would guess would be about 36' across, give or take a couple feet.

Also, any thoughts on using steel framing for the vertical posts and the roof structure? I would do shingle roof and wood exterior, but I like the idea of the steel structure since I have no need for a central grain silo, which is traditionally used to support the center of the roof. My idea would be to have an open upper level that could be used as an in-law apartment, guest house, studio, or whatever. I think a steel structure might allow me to do that.