Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: pigeons in the barn pooping all over

Re: pigeons in the barn pooping all over

Yes, it's a single shot. The trigger pull is "exactly" two pounds, the minimum allowed in competition. If you don't lift the pisol with the weight hanging on the trigger slowly, it will fire.

The velocity is IIRC 550 FPS or so. And quite consitant which is even more important. I have two cylinders. The fellow I bought it from suggested placing the empty cylinders in the freezer for a while before filling. Get more inside if the cylinder's pre-chilled.

There's a little lever on top that opens the chamber so you can insert a pellet. Also cocks the hammer. Don't remember the shots per fill. but when the pressure drops to a set point, the remaining charge is vented, so you don't shoot with inadequate pressure.

I've not shot the gun in several years, maybe 8 or 9, but the serious competitors had a pellet sizer that they'd press each pellet through before firing. These are serious folks.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Gary, since you don't use it you should send it to me to check it out for you.

Serious shooters with custom guns sometimes have a small length of their rifled barrel (make the barrel a couple inches long and cut it off later, after rifling) into which they press the bullet prior to firing to pre-grove it prior to inserting it into the breech with the pre-groving lined up with the rifling. I never got that INTO it.

I checked out the saboted pellet site... Very interesting reading albeit with several errors. You can "read through" the errors and get what was intended. I'll probably order some of the pellets.

I don't get the cooling thing. If you are filling the cylinders with liquid and not continuously compressing a gas to fill the cylinders such as when filing a SCUBA tank or a welding gas bottle like argon or oxygen, you aren't creating a lot of heating (like why an air compressor tank gets hot.) In fact, chilling the cylinder shrinks it a tad reducing its capacity.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat, I'm no expert but, if the cylinder's at say 70 deg F and you introduce liquid CO2. The CO2 will tend to gas as it's pressure is reduced below that of the cylinder it was in, right? maybe not? If the empty cylinder is chilled won't there be less tendancy to convert from liquid to gas. Or is that more of a pressure rather than temperature issue? The receiving cylinder is about 5" in length and about 7/8" dia and machined out of aluminum. We're not talking about a lot of volume. I just pre chilled because the fellow I bought the pistol from recommended it. Also weigh the charged cylinder to see how much you got in there.

Probably makes no difference in the long run.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Gary, I think your bottom line says it well, "Probably makes no difference in the long run."

I'll not launch a huge dissertation on Boyle's and Charles' law topics... lucky you!

The boiling point of CO2 at typical ambient barometric pressures is so far removed from room temperature (unchilled aluminum cylinder temp) that the gains in storage from chilling the cylinder are likely more theoretical than practical.

As a reloader you undoubtedly have the means to accurately weigh the filled cylinder and see, after a series of fillings, some chilled and some not, what difference it makes in the gross weight of the cylinder. Subtract out the tare weight and note the percentage of difference in the average weight of usable gas. Convert this to shots you can make prior to auto shutoff and decide if it is significant to you. Likely it is a ritual that when performed made someone feel good but didn't have much in the way of other benefit.

You might benbefit from chilling the larger (supply) cylinder. You might benefit more from filling the smaller cylinder then chilling it and topping it off.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"