Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: pigeons in the barn pooping all over

pigeons in the barn pooping all over

I have fought pigeons for several years. They poop more than any bird I've ever seen. I have several tractors that I value very highly and these stupid birds seem dead set on vandalizing them. I would venture to say I have killed 20 of these pests in the last few years. Is there a better way to keep them away? Pellet guns rarely kill one and .22 goes through the tin. Maybe a bird poison.Is there such a thing?

Re: pigeons in the barn pooping all over

Might try .22 shotshells. They use no. 12 shot and probably won't go through the tin.

They used to market .22 cal shotguns for a sport called "mosskeeto". Used small clay targets at short range. perhaps you could locate one of these shotguns.

Crossman used to market CO2 powered shotguns. They used plastic shotshells that you reloaded. I have seen these at gunshows.

You might also try a more powerfull pellet rifle. I have a "spring air" gun that pushes a .177 pellet at over 1000FPS. These types of guns are available in .177, .20, and .22 calibers. Some are also available in .25 cal.

Do a search on Google for "adult air guns" and you'll find many returns. Cabela's and BassPro also carry these items. The airguns that is.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

I never thought about .22 shotshells,it'd work just fine.
    My fathernlaw said he'd reload me some 12 ga shells with rice but he has'nt got it done yet and that was 6 monthe ago.
    I'll have to see why my location didn't show up on my post. I am just east of Macon,Mo. small world.

Just my observation on shotshells. I have found that a .22 long rifle shotshell (by CCI) is not as effective as a .22 long rifle birdshot cartridge (by Federal). I like the birdshot .22 cal for gophers, doves, etc. Also shoot sparrows when they try to pester the bluebirds trying to nest. The bird shot doesn't carry very far, and I feel safer than using the regular .22 long rifle shell.

Is there a way to board up (cover) the holes that allow the pigeons to get in your shed? Seems its the most effective way to avoid the problem. And I do agree that they are a real nuisance.

As a kid, we would catch pigeons at night using a flashlight and a gunny sack, then sell them for 10 cents each to a dog trainer. Four or five of us would pick up 70 to 100 pigeons in a good night. Made for some exciting times crawling around in barns and silo covers at night.

<font color="purple"> Might try .22 shotshells. They use no. 12 shot and probably won't go through the tin. </font color>

I use these for the rattlesnakes. Lotta rocks around here, and I was concerned about ricochets. The shotshells meet this need just fine, and do a superior job on the snakes.

My BIL is here with me now and says that if you're serving dinner, we might drive up and shoot some pigons for you. he wants to use a .410 with light loads. We reload .410 so that's not an issue.

BTW, the Mayor of Macon is a personal friend of mine. He's a fellow Ham operator. Dale, KØKY. I get up there once a year or so.
    Gary

A neighbor suggested looking into an ultrasonic repeller. That would be ok I don't care if it drives off everything.
    That pigeon poop dries hard as crazy glue. Right now I have to keep things covered with those blue tarps. Who wants to ride horses when the saddle is covered in green and white.

Surely can't help with ideas on keeping the pigeons away but would like to add that the droppings can be a health hazard.

Egon

Let me know if you want to have a pigeon hunt after Christmas. Maybe in January. I guess the critters are still there then.
    Gary

Is this in a barn, or an open front shed?

If this a barn, then it is time to do some repair work. I'd start by puting screen on all openings; in the eaves, vents, ect. Make sure you always close the doors. Make it so they can not get in.

If you shoot them, use light shot in a target load. A game loads will be too powerful and will blow holes through your barn. Even target loads will require caution.

You might try a .410, but even those put the shot out at velocites that a 12 or 20 gauge would.

Yes, .22 bullets put nice holes in barns, not that I would know about it personally [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]