Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: pigeons in the barn pooping all over

Re: pigeons in the barn pooping all over

A half oz. of no. 9 with a light load of powder in a .410 would be good. As stated a game load in any guage would be too hot. Target loads are generally lighter in power, but not always. A trap load might be plenty powerful.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

As big a nuisance as pigeons are around the world, I suspect if ultrasonic repellers really worked, they would be used a lot, because they would be cheap to operate.

I rather doubt that they are very effective. Also, birdshot in a 22 shell (by Federal) won't punch a hole in your barn roof or wall (like a regular 22 bullet). They might take out a window pane on a direct hit, but sounds like the pigeons may have already taken them out.

When they roost at night, they are not spooked by a flashlight. You could pick them off fairly easily, and at least reduce the flock (by night!). [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

It's an open 50 year old amish hay barn.No way to keep them out.

There are a few bird repellent products on the market.
    One is a sticky goo you spread on the tops of the trusses/rafters where ever they like to sit. It's so sticky they can't fly away. After a while the others get the idea and vacate the area.
    Another is a strip that has 3" spikes sticking up placed close together. Put that on top of their roosting spots and they'll not have a place to land.

We have a stable we close up at night and in the winter. Every spring we have a bunch of sparrows and starlings try to move in. They seem to figure out it's not a good spot to nest as they often can't get in or out. They seem to give up by time summer starts. We like to keep the barn open in the summer for ventalation.

I've heard that hanging a CD or DVD from a string can work as a bird repellant. I've never tried this so I can't say whether it works or not. But I have seen plenty of CDs hanging in gardens and such and I always wondered what that was all about. Not very attractive as a decoration, that's for sure. Then somebody told me they used this method in their barn.

It might be worth a try if all it cost you is a couple of old CDs. And if it don't work you can use them as target practice [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

AOL donates CDs on a regular basis in my mail box.
    A man's likely to mind his own business, if it is worth mindin' - Eric Hoffer

We just came in from a pigeon massacre,me and the kids went out with .22's and a spotlight. In the spring I will have to get up there with a caulking gun. They roost on the iron rail in the ridge.Where I shot holes not much rain will get in.

I had the same problem, go to a sporting goods store and get some Aguila Super Colibri 22 ammo. These shells are loaded with a light 20gr bullet and just use the priming compound as propellant. They are quiet and will kill pigeons, but with their light bullet weight and low velocity they will not go through the roof.

I suggest you consider using Colibri in a pistol for even safer shooting. Super Colibri are more powerful than the regular but still come with warning to not use in a "long gun" as the bullet may not exit the barrel. I have never personally had a "short" round with either Colibri or Super Colibri but BE CAREFUL. Bird shot from a pistol is strictly short range, safe, and fun. I even shoot factory loaded shot shells in .45 ACP. You can develop some good "natural point of aim" skills with a good supply of moving targets.

There is a less fun solution: "Tanglefoot" is a commercial product which you "paint" everywhere birds perch. It does NOT hurt the bird physically (does not glue it down) but the birds really don't like it and will not stay on a surface painted with it. It just feels bad to them and they, lacking a place to perch, just go elsewhere. Coating lasts a long time, especially under a roof.

Tanglefoot would be on duty 24-7 but pistols or rifles with bird shot are more fun.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I don't have experience with .22 long shotshells but .22 mag. shot shells work excellent for pigeons. The other option is to get some friends that are good with shot guns and scare them out of the barn (pigeons) and have at them. They fly away after a while, but they usually come back for four or five rounds of shooting and it's fun.