Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: pigeons in the barn pooping all over

Re: pigeons in the barn pooping all over

Get an owl decoy or a hawk that squaks thingy. They use them all over Ashland to keep pigeons away and it works too. One restaurant has an owl perched on the building where the pigeons would set and bomb the sidewalk and patrons.
    Bo McCarty, Realtor

About the CCI brand shotshells, the ones with the blue plastic bullet shaped shot container at WallMart for $3.19 plus tax for 20... I was doing a little extermination job on some winged nuisences and at ranges of about 10-15 feet in a .22 target pistol, Ruger 22-45, The best I could do was drop one with two shots (both dead on). At those prices, about 35 cents per bird, wouldn't I be better off loading #12 in a .410 or even in a 12 ga. I could load with cracked corn, wheat, rice or grass seed in a 12 ga and do better for less but with a tad louder report.

I wasn't brave (stupid) enough to try the CCI shotshells with the supressor. Guess I will have to consider using a rifle for a little more zap.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Not trying them in the supressed pistol was probably a good call. The supressor would likely get heavier with each shot! From the shot not leaving the end but staying in the supressor.

In europe they have, I'm told, a 32 guage shotgun. Smaller than a .410.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Gary, Recall the discusssion RE .22 shotguns built here in the USA? 32 gauge, big deal. Lets see now what is the nominal bore size of a 32 ga?

Quick, someone with a calculator and ready access to a ref text to get the density of lead... What is the diameter of 32 equal size lead balls that weigh a total of 1 lb in aggregate. I bet it is larger than .22 inches.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Actually, after I made my post I looked on the net and discovered that a 32 ga. shotgun is slightly larger than a .410. Of couse this morning I can't find that website.

IIRC, the dia of a 32 ga. is about .43-.44 dia.

There's a gun show in July and I'll be on the lookout for that smoothbore .22.
    Gary

Gary, I have a smooth bore .177 "shotgun." It is the Daisy Red Ryder commemorative model and as it is so small of a bore that its load is only a single spherical pellet. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I have this to say about that... The "don't put your eye out" safety crowd have managed to get the velocity of that BB gun reduced to the point of total inefectivity. It is cute but useless as the holdover required to hit a 55 gal drum at 100 feet is reminiscent of shooting a mortar.

With the renewed interest in .17 cal firearms (I saw my first .17 cal varmint guns in the late 60's) I suppose someone will make a .17 cal shotgun (smoothbore for use with shotshells.)

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

OK, I have a similar model fitted with a slug barrel! It's an RWS Mod 45 that I've had for a number of years. It pushes a "slug" at about 1000fps. I found some saboted slugs at a recent gunshow. I've not tried them yet, but as they are lighter we may be able to crack the sound barrier. i had misplaced them at the old house and found them when packing. Now I can't remember which box I put them in.

The mod 45 is a spring air gun. My possible concern with these slugs is that they might be light enough to pemit the piston to hit the end of the cylinder too hard. Might not have enough air cushion.

I'm still willing to visit the poster and help kill pigions. Should be fun!
    Gary

Gary, I thought you'd be amused by my Daisy Red Ryder. I also have a pump Sheridan in 5mm, a cheap Chinese single pump (not break barrel) in .177 that shoots hard and straight but only cost $20 new (cheap built like an AK47) I also have a Feinwork Brau tack driver with 3-8X Beeman scope. Looks like a nice hunting rifle but is break barrel air gun (more than a tad expensive) Left handed model. I'm not a lefty but do more shooting of long guns left handed, especially moving targets. (Its a long story.) I qualified in the service for my marksmanship medal both left and right handed depending on my mood.

Tell me more about the sabot rounds. what cal? I think I want some if I have or can get something they will fit. I may have mentioned one time my maniacal desire to fire saboted .17 cal ouit of a .22.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] P.S. See the renewed Prius thread...

I have the same scope on my RWS. It's a nice scope special made for the shorter ranges need for pneumatic arms. many folks use .22 rifle scopes, but they don't work too well for several reasons, the "double recoil" as well as the parallelex issues at the shorter range.

The saboted rounds are .177. came in a black plastic "Skoal tin" package. The pellet is a shortened ogie shape that is copper clad or washed. Actual projectile might be steel which would be OK as it won't actually contact the barrel.

Maybe I'll find them soon. I remember putting them in a box last weekend, but which box.

I have a nice FWB Model C2 CO2 target pistol you might like. uses refillable CO2 cylinders that you charge from a CO2 bottle with a dip tube so you get liquid instead of gas. Not shot it recently as I'm out of gas. need to hit the local fire extinguisher recharge place for a refill.
    Gary

Gary, Although it didn't happen to me, I know folks who lost more than a cheap .22 scope to the double whammy of the air gun. I don't know what the "standard" practice is now for the better scope builders but decades ago even some really "tough" high popwer rifle scopes with BIG names could have parts (reticle etc.) dislodged by the douible whammy of some air guns.

May I have a tad more specificity sir? What is the cal of the bore the saboted rounds are fired from? I was hoping the projectile minus sabot was .177 with maybe a .223 or simiklar OD on the sabot.

I'm not at all familiar with the pistol you describe but it sounds really neat. I like the liquid refill for several reasons. What sort of velocities does it produce and how many shots on a refill? I assume it is a single shot?

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]