Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: maryland state wants to ban pitbulls

Re: maryland state wants to ban pitbulls

kokopelli, Funny you should mention the Dalmation, as the list I saw gave it the nod as the #1 biter, as reported by emergency rooms. I found that most ironic given the tremendous number of Dalmation puppies flooding into homes with children due to the influence of the 101 Dalmation and sequels and cartoons that came out.

About the owner refusing to muzzle a known biter... Don't you see a series of problems here? A vet office with no private exit should refuse service to an owner who refuses to conform to requirements for public safety. The Dalmation owner of course exhibits classic arrogance and stupidity and is making a case for retroactive abortion and or euthanasia based on extreme need in his case, not the dog's.

For either of us, or anyone for that matter, to try to prove the general case by citing specific, potentially non-typical, examples is not productive. Insurance companies understand risk very well, especially in aggregate. You might not like the way they ameliorate it but you should understand that they are experts in risk analysis and to "bet" against them is not a smart thing.

In a specific example, you might have a dog of the most aggressive, attack prone, and damage causing breed on the planet that has a "good" personality, has been well trained and sociallized by you, and has NEVER hurt you or any other person but that doesn't make that dog safe in any situation where uncontrolled things might happen involving others. It is the waist mounted bomb that has been worn for years and has never exploded so far to date. The breed is "wired to attack and kill" and could and would if the right circumstances occured.

I do appreciate your feelings regarding the fact that you may have had this and other dogs of this type, trouble free, for decades and resent rules that interfere with your activities. How are you going to to differentiate to society the difference between your dog and the others of its breed?

There are laws that require your car to have operable lights although you might NEVER drive in reduced illumination. Are these laws unfair or wrong? There are often situations where the "granularity" of a law makes no accomodation for subtle differences. In Oklahoma, a recent vote outlawed cock fighting and the keeping of fighting chicken breeds. Folks with a hidden agenda raised all sorts of specious arguments about imprisoning innocent chicken fanciers who might not realize some half breed chicken was part game cock and illegal to own.

The breeds are outlawed as well as the intended activity for which the breed exists. The argument is raised about just raising the chickens to raise them not to fight, just to raise. The law quite plainly outlaws the breed and the activity for which it was meant. I have little sympothy for the poor deprived chicken fancier that sits in the corner with tears streaming down their face because of a thwarted desire to raise fighting cocks. There are plenty of other kinds of chickens that can fill just about any need you can name.

I feel pretty close to the same way about dog breeds and tools. If you are trying to drive a screw, use a screw driver. Sure, you can drive a screw with a hammer or clear the ants from the picnic area with a massive air strike of napalm but these might not be the first choice of a cautious citizen. If you want a dead bird retrieved and not eaten, get a retriever. If you want rats harassed get a rat terrier. If you want something bigger like a big dog or a person attacked and killed get a dog bred and genetically programmed to attack and kill. Why is it surprising that dog breeds developed expressly for attacking and killing, will in fact attack and kill?

Any breed can be trained to be nasty and nippy but can a breed expressly programmed genetically to attack and kill be reliably trained to be a gentle companion dog? To my way of thinking, this should never be an issue because if you want a gentle breed get a gentle breed and if you want something to attack and kill get a matching breed. The right tool for the job. Don't saw logs with a nail file or drive screws with a sledgehammer.

There are always odities and people who for whatever reason "need" to be involved with them. I have seen guys juggle running chainsaws instead of balls or Indian clubs but think it would be inappropriate to do it while running through a crowd. It is an inappropriate risk to impose on other non-consenting members of society.

If you want to go out in the forrest somewhere and live with wolves (and not hurt them) society shouldn't mind. If on the other hand you choose to bring the wolves to live with you in your midtown Manhattan appartment and run with them in Central Park, then I think it is appropriate for society to intervene for public safety. Pit bulls and the like are dogs, directly descended from wolves, like all other breeds recognized by the AKC, except they are specifically bred for the purpose of attacking and killing. It is literally, their nature. Why choose to try to layer on a veneer of socialization onto a born and bred killer if what you want is some form of companion dog or guard dog, or companion/guard dog? Why substitute C-4 for modeling clay if what you claim to want is the atributes of modeling clay?

//SOAPBOX MODE OFF//

OK, I'll quit ranting and let you 'splain it to me.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat

Very thoughtful essay. I am of the opinion that we should have minimal government, whose purpose is to protect the citizen. Maryland may be the only Eastern state that is more intent than Massachusetts in attempting to Legislate every aspect of human behavior. It appears that the legislators want the public to answer to them rather than the elected officials having to answer to the public. That said, I think this may be a legitemate answer to protect the public. While other dogs may bite, I don't think that I have read about too many other breeds that have savagely attacked and mauled humans in the way that pit bulls have. It seems that every week I read about some case of an elderly woman or a young child being savagely mauled by a pit bull. Pit bulls are "pit" dogs. Put in a pit to fight another dog. The winner is bred with another winner. The loser is killed by the other dog or is dispatched by its owner. Through years of breeding a very aggressive killer has developed. The breeders now use the euphemism "protective". The owners are proud of their "killer" dogs. When they kill there is mock surprise.
    In a society with no laws i think that the public would kill pit bulls on sight if they were running free.
    Consider now a society where owners of dogs were responsible for the actions of their dogs. If a dog bit someone the owner was charged with assault and battery. If the dog tore off someones ear the owner was charged with mayhem. If the dog savagely mauled and killed someone the owner was charged with murder with extreme cruelty and atrocity and was executed. How many people would own pit bulls?
    My opinion is that the majority of pit bull owners either overtly or secretly take pride in the fact that they own "killer" dogs. They should not be surprised that society tries to protect itself from these killer dogs.

RonL

Ron, Thanks for hanging a good descriptor on my rant. I certainly agree that the best government is the least Government required for the common good. A country, our society, is subject to many of the forces at work in biology. It is encumbent on the society to do that which is necccessary and sufficient to sustain itself as a viable entity or it will become obsolete/extinct. If we change enough of the things that made us great we will cease to be great.

One of the things that has made us great is to create an environment that permits the maximum personal freedom so long as you don't endanger others. We didn't become great by pandering to the widest possible range of anomolous behavior or by being afraid to do the right thing because it might hurt some finge person's or group's feelings. At the rate we are going these days I wouildn't be surprised to see a case come before the supreme court on the topic of virgin sacrifice of a consenting adult in the name of 1st ammendment rights and religious freedom.

I know I haven't made a strong case for why someone with a dog of good training and character that has never "acted out" should be "lumped together" with other members of his breed. I would ask you to recall the Aesop's Fable about the scorpion. If that isn't to your liking, note the law regarding max diameter of the barrel of private owned firearm. Look for the use of the term "destructive device." It matters not that you never load the thing, much less use it, and that unused it is impossible that it would be a source of danger to you or anyone else, it is illegal to possess. ILLEGAL TO POSSESS end of story. Our elected officials acting in the interest of the citizens of the country decided that the public having such devices was NOT A GOOD IDEA. So, personal freedom be damned, they acted for public safety.

I have difficulty differentiating between these examples and ownership of certain dangerous animals. I know a lot of "exotic" pet owners with leopards and such would feel like I was trampling their personal freedom. I would rather see full automatic weapons "street legal" than continue to read about dog maulings. I think there would be less loss of innocent life due to automatic weapns.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Look how low the human race has fallen. Dogs ain't at the top of the food chain, humans are. Don't cower in fear, attack back. Learn were dogs are vulnerable and go for those spots. Use a cane to walk with and no dog can bite you if you are aware of its presence. If you are not aware, shame on you. The problem with "REASONABLE" legislation or requirements is that you always have someone to whom reason means total control.
    A man's likely to mind his own business, if it is worth mindin' - Eric Hoffer

Slamfire, I don't know about the human race, I don't even know who is entered much less who to bet on to win place or show. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

In California it is a felony to kick a dog. I don't know how much worse it would be if you used a club (Cane). Maybe if you hit the ground, rolled over and exposed your throat in a submissive gesture to the attacking "alpha male" you would be spared.

Uh, by the way re your food chain comment, are you suggesting that the dog be eaten?

I'm acquainted with the California victimwealth. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I lived there for 33 years. It might be illegal to kick or hit a dog, but tearing the lower jaw off of one would seem to be an act or self defense. Of course that's what I'd plead regardless. By the way don't kick dogs, they can bite your leg. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    A man's likely to mind his own business, if it is worth mindin' - Eric Hoffer

Slamfire, I "did" about the same amount of time in the Great Victimwealth of California as you, '63-00' with 4 years off for good behavior (USAF). Never heard it called Victimwealth before but I LIKE IT.

My name is Kri and I own an Amstaff Terrier. She is the best dog I've ever had, (besides my Sheltie). I have three children including a nine month old baby.

It's true that people are responsible for how a dog is raised and therfore also responsible for it's actions in the community. My Amstaff has shown no sighns of agressive behavior because she is well trained and well loved, infact if she shows any sighn of an "undesireable" behavior it's excitement (sitting in your lap, licking you to death, and trying to sleep in the bed) but at an early age (1 month) she has been taught not to bite or even bark. She knows her place in the family, well maybe because she thinks she's one of the kids.

I think if there were any ban to be in place it should be on what kind of owner takes on this amazing and versitile dog. To ban this breed or any of it's cousins would be a sad day for Maryland, yet an illuminating light on just how selfish and unintelligent some people can be. Hope this gives some insight for those who don't own or know an Amstaff or an APBT.

-Kri

Yes, it's a sad thing when people are against the breed more than the deed or what happened to cause an accident or incident. Sort of like that case several years ago where Colt was named in a lawsuit just because they manufactured the gun.
    I have a PBT in my boarding kennel right now and I think of about the 12 or so I've boarded over the last 1-1/2 years, this is the first one where the owner actually told me what he had. I've had some people trying to tell me they are Boxer mixes until they bring them in and I can see for myself, then I get a "we weren't sure if you would board a pitbull".

In my experience Min Poodles and Dacshunds are much more likely to be the nasty boarder that always tries to fence fight with you and growl at you for no reason. Others kennel operators have said Poms are their worst. Of course they aren't going to do the damage a larger dog can and that's why they don't make the papers as often. I didn't report the Min Pin (all 8 lbs of her) that jumped off the floor and layed my finger open for no reason. All I was doing was standing there talking to the owner in my office. The owner didn't correct the dog and when I asked her why she told me that Coco was only being protective. When I asked her if she felt I was threatening her she said no, so I asked her what her dog was protecting her from then?... It didn't take long to figure out why she was looking for a new kennel to use. I don't mind a tough acting or nervous acting dog, after all, they could very well be a little stressed, but the owner should realize what they have and there are way too many people that don't think you need to socialize lap dogs.
    FYI, Welsh Corgis were put on Italy's dangerous breed list last year. It won't stop at the "usual" breeds.

It's amazing how people have worked so hard to breed such wounderful animals only to turn on them after isolated incidents. The really sad thing is like you said, mainly the big dogs are being shown in a bad light because people think the little ones are to small to cause harm. Agressiveness comes in all shapes and sizes. There are millions of dog lovers out there and we should work together to speak for our bestfriends. A single man can't hold back a flood but many can build a ****. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    -Kri