Handyman, I applaud your approach and efforts to "save" a dog. There are just entirely too many "pets" in our country that are ill treated out of ignorance or worse. I respect the efforts of you and others who "rescue" animals from euthanasia, where possible. A good friend of mine had 8 dogs till a couple got so old and feeble they were "put down." The remaining 6 are all younger rescued dogs from "caged" breeding operations, puppy factories. They literally had no life but forced breeding in a small cage before being rescued and it has taken a lot of time and effort to socialize them. They are some kind of long bodied short legged pug nosed long haired Chinese lap dog that can be ever so cute and affectionate when successfuly rehabilitated.

I also have a friend who participates in wild animal rescue and has raised everything from humingbirds to red tailed hawks (lisc falconer) etc. If it falls out of a tree or gets found on a porch, she gets it whether feeathered, furred, scaled, or otherwise. A good portion are euthanized after the "bringer" leaves because they can't be saved but she saves quite a few. These are mother mature's creatures, mostly out of our control. Dogs are a creation of man and are in way too much supply. It is encumbent on man to solve the problem. While some segments of our society are encouraging or allowing uncontrolled breeding (Why neuter, my animal is male and can't get pregnant!) others are trying to control the flood of overpopulation of unwanted animals. At best, only a fraction of candidates will successfully be placed in acceptable situations and the others will be ulltimately euthanized or contribute to the overpopulation problem.

Again, my hat is off to you and the others who use their personal time and resources to try to lessen the suffering and improve the situation. Likewise, the landowners who "take in" horses and burros so they have a life.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]