Thread: underpinning

underpinning

I posted this before,but I think I was not clear about what I meant. I am building a 24'x30' house on a pier foundation and need to know what to use as the "underpinning"{between the ground and the siding of the house}. Don

Re: underpinning

What was it about the previous responses you didn't like? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

You have posted quite a few questions, which is what this forum is mostly about. However, only on one, of many, have you given any response to the lengthy help many have tried to provide and give to you. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Sorry, its not my position to bring this up (and I feel bad doing it and will probably be called 'out of line' for doing it), but I just read all your posts, and all the responses. The responses seemed to me to be very helpful, but not once did you respond with a comment as to how they helped, if they helped, or that they were not responding to what you wanted to know. I'm curious, as to what is the cause. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Underpinning? do you have a definition of what you think underpinning is? Wood posts (pilings)? Concrete block? Concrete poured wall? Wood foundation?
    [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    We will try to help you. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

And please, I am not trying to hassle here, and hope it isn't taken that way.

Beenthere, I guess I better get in line for my chewing also. I guilty of the same thing. But I do appreciate all the advice I have gotten. I definetly read the posts and take them to heart but I forget to reply sometimes. Seems like when I do reply the advice stops coming the thread shuts down though.

I guess the guilt comes from the lack of advice I have to give on most subjects.

Patrick

I've read your posts too, and don't see that you have been 'non-responding' at all, IMO. You respond quite well, and I hope have been able to get some helpful information by doing so.

Please, I don't want to sound like I am chewing anyone out. Just wanting to help 'diamond' get some answers that he feels he isn't getting from this forum.

I'm assuming you mean what I would call skirting, to keep the wind etc out of the underside of the house.

My parents used aluminum sheet between the posts. Us being idiots gradually decided we needed more room and slowly escavated the entire basement by hand! And of course started near the edges so the inner part had to be carried through finished basement!

We cement blocked in walls between the posts to replace sheets of aluminum.

There is still one pressure treated wood wall in the house that is below soil, 20 yrs and going strong.

If it is a house, nothing short of brick or block should even be considered.
    If it is a mobile home, aluminum, brick or block could be used.
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

Good post. A reminder to all, if someone makes and effort to help, even if fails, a thanks from time to time
    is in order. I'm as guilty as the next.