Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hollow Chisel Mortiser

Hollow Chisel Mortiser

I've got myself talked into needing a hollow chisel mortiser.

I'm looking at a Delta 14-651 for around $240.

Any comments/suggestions/sources appreciated.

Re: Hollow Chisel Mortiser

The only input i have is ide love to have one plus if i did ide have to invest in good tennon fixture for the table saw and they are expensive also.
    Larry

<font color="purple"> I've got myself talked into needing a hollow chisel mortiser </font color>

Talked yourself into it? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

They're wonderful..when I did custom millwork for many years we had three of them (full sized drill presses driven by foot pedals...we even had another like that, except the chisel was replaced by a chain bar), one for 4/4" stock, one for 5/4"-6/4", and one for 8/4", with corresponding tenoners permanently set to match. It takes a lot of justification to have this kind of setup, and it takes some just to have a single thickness setup.

I do not know what "talked into needing" means...if you want it, go for it. But there are ways to do the same work, on a limited basis, with the basic woodworking shop tools and homemade jigs.

If I had to make a door or two, I'd tough it out, but give me a kitchen or a house and we need a mortiser [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Sorry I cannot comment on brands...what we used was purchased in the late 1950's/early 1960's, mostly Greenlee stuff for chisels and bits.

I've got two full size doors and a bed to make. Really good, tight mortise-and-tenon joints are (to me) critical to the bed, and pretty darned important on the doors too.

I realize that a dedicated mortiser is likely overkill if that's all I ever do with it, but I can't bring myself to believe a drill press kit would be as accurate. Also, I can set up a mortiser on my bench top and have enough room for jigs and supports to put a mortise in the end of a 5' bedpost and have it come out square. That would be a lot less likely when working on a drill press with a 12" table on it.

The tennoning jig is a dang fine idea anyway.

I work for a tool rental place that is a division of a big lumber yard/hardware operation, and get an employee discount. I'll have to check and see what it would set me back for both...

I have a drill press mortice attachment that I'm happy with. It is used on a cheap radial arm drill press. For long pieces sopport stands are used.

A band saw or radial arm saw work well for the tenons.

Egon

Workbench magazine did a review of the small mortisers this year and the Delta came out tops by a hair. Jet was second because the action of the Delta was smoother. They had some good comments about breaking them in, too.

I have the Jet and have only used it once or twice since I found a way to do it with my routers and table. I'll probably sell the mortiser since it's just in my way now.

Pete

<font color="purple"> Really good, tight mortise-and-tenon joints are (to me) critical to the bed, and pretty darned important on the doors too </font color>

Making them by hand is not too hard with some practice. Make the mortise first and cut the tenon to fit.

And you're right, good joints are important, but not too tight; there needs to be room for the glue to get a long-lasting joint. You should be able to assemble the dry joint by hand by working it back and forth, or at most very light tapping with a rubber mallet.

Here's a little mortise/tenoned project I did in a previous life...a raised panel drop ceiling (5/4" white pine).

That's the end product of a project anyone would be proud of. Wish my skills were at that level.

Egon

Whoa! NICE work!

At 53, I don't think I'll live long enough to get that good...

Breaking them in, eh? Hmmmmmm. I'm thinking I should look up the appropriate back-issue and get it.

Thanks for the tip.