Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mad Cow

Mad Cow

Ok now what. I just spent the past six years raising my own replacement heifers and built the herd from 20 to 50 cows with the last 5 heifers to be bred this spring. I know these cows to their great grandmothers. It's been a constant to get the grass straighten up as the newborns hit the ground. Along with equipment upgraded and ground and fences and facilities in shape. I pretty well have plowed the profits back into it and just as things were turning a profit some holstien in washington state decides to have mad cow, possible positive results. Now what . Richard how do you think this will effect the industry?

Patrick

Re: Mad Cow

Pat, Who the heck knows how this will play out. Hope the test is flawed. This could get real ugly for a lot more reasons than public safety.

Al sorry about the reference to "some holstein in washington state" in a negative way I had just heard the news. And to beat it all my wife had said she had just bought some hamburger for her mom. I was in shock. She of all people should have known better than to make a statement like that. But it really showed me how people are going to react. Of course it is the first thing on the news every fifteen minutes. I have felt sorry for the guys up in Canada for the past year. I also feel sorry for the guys whose lives depend on beef prices. My little bunch is just my part time job to supplement my income and keep up the family farm. I also feel sorry for the farmers in the immediate area of impact.

It's amazing what another Kentucky product can do to relieve SSS (sudden stress syndrome)

Patrick

Pat, the local news services in Wa. are going hog wild. <font color="blue">"some holstein in washington state" in a negative way </font color> No problem here, Ironically this morning we went to our local butcher to stock on our winter beef supply.The Xmas prime rib looked a little fatty so we passed. I heard the news while I was changing the mower blades on the tractor. We jumped in the truck an headed for COSTCO and filled out our winter supply plus some. I don't believe thinking folks will let this get them down.

I am sorry to dissagree but I honestly think this will have a enormous impact on the industry. Several countries have already banned our beef includeing Japan. I believe they are our largest export nation. Beef prices here are soo high this past week I didnt even bother buying any. I was at the store and all the buzz at the check out lines was how no one was going to pay those prices for beef. Whole tenderlins hit the $15 mark as did average cow meat prime rib. Choice cuts and angus will shrink your wallet just looking at the price tags. Its been a LONG time since I have seen such poor quality and high prices at the meat counter. I expect a lot of that is about to change in a hurry. I did like the USDA nonsense though..... " none of the meat is in the food supply" followed by " were still trying to track down the meat " [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] Dave

The one Cow diagosed with " Mad Cow in Alberta " created havoc in the Canadian beef industry. We still can't ship beef to many places including the States.

Egon

&gt;&gt;I am sorry to dissagree but I honestly think this will have a enormous impact on the industry.

Same here. Hopefully it will be short-lived panic, but you never know...it could be just one case, or it could be the first of many cases. Time will tell. I suspect a lot of consumers will lighten up on the beef purchases for a while, while others will load up on the sales prices that will likely follow.

Personally I gave up beef almost ten years ago; if/when I get around to raising my own, and I have control over what it eats, then I'll enjoy my first steak in about a decade.... [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I can NOT live with out STEAK [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I dont think this will be short lived even if it is one cow which I rather doubt will be the case. Even if it is it will be devistateing on the retail level. Personally I think it was a plot by the Poultry Famers [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Honestly, I do hope, for every ones sake in the Industry and consumers, that I am wrong. Egon, I honestly thought the import ban on Canadian Beef was lifted fairly quick. I had no idea it was still in effect. Dave

Does this mean the Atkins diet fad is coming to an end?
    [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img]

Well, I'm a little confused. I would expect prices to come down if there are more cases, as people will slow down on beef purchases. I would wait before stocking up. On the other hand, if you live in Washington, maybe you should worry that a lot of beef won't make it to the local market and therefor prices will go up. And I could see a quarantine restricting shipping of beef across state lines? So what happened in "mad cow" countries before. Did beef prices go up, or down? I'll probably wait to stock up no matter what. The prices right now are too high to be appealing to me.