Thread: R&R Dakota V-6

R&R Dakota V-6

I finally decided the bucking under load up hills, oil consumption etc wa too much to bear so I researched new engines. Dodge would do it for a bit oer $5000. A couple internet sources with nationwide "cooperating garages" wanted $3000 or so. I took it to a shop about 25 miles away(closeset shop of any size) and they ordered me a long block from a rebuilder in Texas. Total out the door running like new (or better) with a few extras for no additional $ for the miserly sum of $1500 including tax.

Moral of the story is shop around. Secondary moral is the internet is sometimes a real convenient way to spend more.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: R&R Dakota V-6

Who is the rebuilder in Texas and did I read correctly out the door (no effort on your part) for $1500?

Re: R&R Dakota V-6

All-Wa, I don't recall the name of the rebuilder in Texas, if the shop owner mentioned it. If you are seriously interested, you could ask the owner of Ada Discount Motors in Ada, Oklahoma. Oh, by the way, don't use their 800 number, it is not in effect since it wasn't working and the owner got in a tiff with the phone folk who expected to be paid even though it didn't work.

The effort on my part was to do the research, email a bunch of internet savy rebuilders, some with cooperating shops around the country who would do the R&R and then compare to thte local outfits. Ada Discount Motors gave a phone estimate that beat the others and when I took the truck in he had the scribbled note with the estimate on it. He transferred the numbers to an invoice and collected the $ from me via personal check, 100% in advance. Later I came back and picked up the truck. He had cautioned me that there could be additional expenses if I needed sensors or the fuel injection was bad or whatever. There was no extra charge. He just gave me the key, told me to park it where I could see any leak and to bring it back if it leaks anything. He said he put straight 30 wt oil in and that I could change it any time between 500 and 2000 miles. He wanted me to run it for 500 to seat the rings etc before changing it.

My total involvement was writing the check and two trips to Ada with a chase vehicle and second driver. I value my ability to judge character. I trusted the guy and see no reason why I shouldn't have. I don't recall off the top of my head the EXACT charge with tax and all but it was less than $1600.

I thought it was a reasonable bargain since my other bids were $3000 to $5000. It runs strong and is super quiet, indicates good oil pressure. I'll reserve commenting on mileage as I filled it up on the way home from picking it up but haven't filled lit up again since. I'll try to remember to comment on it after I get another fillup.

OH... I do recall the owner of Ada Discount Motors commenting that he was particular about what rebuilders he used. I guess waranty hassle between him and rebuilder would destroy his profit.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"