I've got a couple acres to play with and a wife who wants a career change and I was wondering if anyone knows of a list of profitable crops that can be grown for income?

I'm not looking for commodity crops like corn or soybeans, for the last 9 years a farmer down the road has been cropping those on my land, but I'm looking for specialty crops, perhaps heirloom or gourmet crops that can fetch a premium price at farmers markets or sold to fancy restaurants (we are only an hour from downtown Chicago).

I'd like some gourmet perennials, possibly some varieties of blackberries or raspberries, also asparagas? The questions are WHAT varieties are the highest quality gourmet types for income production?

I'd also like some gourmet annuals such as types of squash blossoms, heirloom or gourmet tomatoes, peppers and french beans. I would also consider herbs, unusual flowers and plants such as varieties of lavender, hostas, etc.

Any help, suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated. Also, how much income can a market gardener produce from about 3 acres?