Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hobby farm to produce some income?

Re: Hobby farm to produce some income?

A friend of mine was looking for high dollar crops with ready markets. He contacted a wholesale grocer who advized him on prices they would pay for various crops. Pearl onions was decided on and later cucumbers with a guaranteed per lug price in the field and a cash advance to prepare the ground for planting and underground irrigation system. He also did Jerusulem artichokes for two different uses. One was health food stores and the other was as feedstock for producing alcohol for gasahol.

Unless you want this as a way to meet lots of people (customers), you might want to contact some wholesale grocers and find out what they would be interested in your supplying for them. The previous owner of my previous house was a produce broker who specialized in specialty items for the resturant trade. He was into baby corn, exotic salad materials, and so on.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: Hobby farm to produce some income?

I realize this is an old post. Hoever, those interested in the flower side of things should consider finding the following book:

Specialty Cut Flowers
    Allan M armitage and Judy M Laushman

Very good book for those interested in growing. Very boring for a hobby gardener, unless avid.

It deals with the commercial markets, The mthods of producing the best flower, best harvest times, best harvest solutions per flower, etc....