Thread: what kind of shocks for a 2500 truck??

what kind of shocks for a 2500 truck??

i have a 2001 dodge 3/4 ton qaud cab 4x4 with 55k miles and need to replace the shocks.we tow alot [camper with boat,tractor,sleds ect.the question i have is should i stay with a high qaulity gas presurized [bilstien] or go with a rs9000 adjustable rancho???are there any other brands to look at???what do you think???i think the gas shock will give a better ride qaulity but will not have any adjustment??

Re: what kind of shocks for a 2500 truck??

Perhaps also think about adding the bolt on dual front shock kit. Can't comment on the shocks as the ones you are talking about are a little pricey for me.

Egon

Great sugestion from Egon. I have a 1 ton Dodge Cumins turbo diesel with a dual shock kit up front (not realy room in the back) and gas charged Bilsteins all the way around. I got about 10K miles on OEM shocks and they weren't that good when new and wore out fast. I have nearly 60K miles on the Bilsteins and all are still working great. The dual shock kit for the front is a bolt-on accessory, not too expensive and pretty ruged. I got it put on at a 4x4 shop.

My truck is 4x4, has 19.5 inch Alcoas, 500 lb custom front bumper, large service bed, carries the largest camper Lance makes and goes off road in Baja and other wild places. The shocks work great and it is real smooth on the highway. Part of smoothness is custom coils in front wound from eliptical bars to give a variable spring rate, soft for the first little deflection but progressively harder to prevent botom out when in rough terrain.

Ranchos would be my second choice if I just couldn't find Bilsteins.

Good luck,

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Only made the suggestion cause I knew Pat had it on his truck.

Egon

I had those Rancho's on my old F250. They worked well. When I loaded the camper, or was hauling, I turned em up a bit. When empty, I turned em down a bit. Worked well. I think they make a fancy model with control from the dash, but are expensive.

Robert, A lot of relatively serious off-roaders use Ranchos for their adjustability. I think they are a close second in performance to the gas charged Bilsteins which aren't adjustable. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

I have individually adjustable HD air bags between the rear axle and frame on my 1 ton. That gives me plenty of adjustable height to "aim the headlights" with a heavy load or the camper. This, in conjunction with the Bilsteins, double in front, gives me the best of both requirements; adjustable load carying height and great shocks.

I think the stock 1 ton was way short on shocks, especially for a 4x4. This was confirmed by the short usefull life of the OEM shocks and the telltale wear pattern on the original tires. I really don't know how long the Bilsteins will be good for but they have 60,000 miles and still going great. If there is a problem, there is a waranty.

I would have doubled the rear shocks if there had been enough room but 60K miles later the single rear Bilsteins have proven that singles in the rear (as some "experts" told me) are enough if they are good shocks. I have customized the rear spring packs by replacing some leaves and adding others. Likewise the factory overload packs have been modified. With a heavy truck like mine with big service body, 65 gallon replacement fuel tank, etc. plus the heavier leaf springs, the single shocks in the rear get a workout. I couldn't be happier with their service to date. If they failed tomorrow, I still made the right decision and would replace them with the same thing even if I had to pay MSRP.

I haven't compromised much on the suspension, wheels (Alcoa forged aluminum rated at over 6000 lbs each (+ dual rear wheels), or tires (Michelin steel belts R245x19.5 rated to carry about 2400 lbs at 110psi). I don't think the shocks are a weak link and can recommend them for most Light truck applications without reservation.

Incidently, I credit the shocks for helping the expensive tires last way better than the original ones which were load range E, max inflation of 80 psi. I have 60K miles on these Michelins and they are not 1/2 used up yet. This includes a fair proportion of off road use on the mud and snow tread style which does "sing" at speed on the interstate.

(I do not have stock in Bilstein shocks.)

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"